Best upgrade EVER

You do have to make a change, but you can do it with grbl.

It’s a bad idea to stretch wiring. If you have extra you can just tie it up with a cable tie to neaten things up.

You do have to make a change, but you can do it with grbl.

Well, I’m still learning… and I do use Easel still also. I want to learn using GRBL but I’m not all the way in the pool yet! xD Would you have any suggestions on this? I thought I saw something about a code to put into Easel, but now I can’t seem to find it.

It’s a bad idea to stretch wiring. If you have extra you can just tie it up with a cable tie to neaten things up.

I guess what I meant was open up the drag chain brackets, and re-thread things through. I guess barring that, I can pick up some wiring and shrink tubing and such, and wire the end nearest the X-Controller.

In any case Larry, I really DO appreciate your advice and guidance. :slight_smile:

Actually every software system useable with the X-carve uses grbl. It is the firmware loaded into the Arduino or X-Controller.

There is a parameter that you can change with Easel → Machine Inspector → advanced that will reverse the direction of the motor.

You can access that variable by just going through Easel machine setup and use the jogging control to get the motor turning in the correct direction.

You ROCK! Thank you. Any advice on a dust shoe? I have the original kit from my X-Carve purchase, but it’s little T-Rex arms can’t reach around anymore… and there’s really nothing to attach it to. LOL

If you are going to buy a dust shoe, most people here I think use the Suckit dust shoe. They have one that fits the Z axis upgrade.

Hmmm… looks very similar for the actual shoe to the one I purchased from X-Carve. I wonder if I might get away with purchasing the rails that work with the Z axis upgrade, but use my shoe. Thank you again! I appreciate you Larry.

If I remember correctly Inventables worked with Suckit to develop the Inventables dust boot.

1 Like

I have learned the hard way that the most expensive cable is any cable that’s too short.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update to a great dust shoe!

So was just about to finish out the install of the new z axis. Went to put the motor in and came across this. Anyone have any recommendations?

I had to trim the stock shaft , pretty easy with a dremel and cut off wheel

1 Like

I’m not using the factory steppers. The Automation Technologies 270oz stepper dropped right in on mine.

1 Like

How about some aluminum or nylon spacers?

1 Like

A nema 23 sized piece of wood or plastic with 1 large and 4 smaller holes could work too. Got any Inventables precision washers? Those have M5 holes too if I remember correctly.

I cut a bit off the end…maybe a bit too much. Only one set screw now engages the shaft. Think that is enough? Cant test it for a day or two. Need to get some wires to extend the connections to the controller. I was hoping that this would be a quick 15-30 min job. Haha.

Could face the top of that mount perhaps to regain the shaft engagement?

Unsure since I have yet to see it in detail

1 Like

one set screw should be fine. Most couplers use only one.

1 Like

Has anyone figured out how to use the original Inventables dust shoe with this upgrade? NOT the Suckit one. I was pretty much forced to buy the Suckit one after the upgrade, but I truly miss the Inventables one. It just seemed like a cleaner, more rigid dust shoe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased the Suckit “Direct Suction” boot to accommodate a CNC4Newbie Z axis upgrade. The Suckit boot connection (2.276") is larger than the outside diameter of the X-Carve stock connector (1.748"). I created a simple adapter that can be loaded into Easel if you’re looking to connect to a 4" hose.

2 Likes

How do the wires connect to the x controller? Is the color code the same same except replace the black for the white wire?.