Cannot get my X-Carve started!

Easel will sit there all night if I let it

Yeah, first thing I did this evening.

And I donā€™t resort to tossing the laptop off the balcony, Iā€™m more of a punching bag and glass of scotch kind of a guy

I have the Arduino hooked up to Windows 7 Pro. When you have the Device Manager up and it shows the Arduino on a COM port, right click on the Arduino COM port and look at the properties on the driver tab.

My driver is version 1.2.2

Which version do you have?

No worries. Any help is appreciated.

Me thinks I simply have a fancy paper weight

I mentioned this several posts back I thought you guys had already checked this.

Iā€™ll try that when I get home today from work. Right now I am running windows 10.

Not a problem. We all want to get to the same place.

well, the serial monitor no longer recognizes the port. seems like I do one thing, then another goes back to being worse than when I started.

No clue, canā€™t get Arduino to acknowledge the damn CNC

Yes sir

I know you answered some of this beforeā€¦ but im still going to askā€¦

In the device manager (START KEY + R ā†’ type ā€˜devmgmt.mscā€™ without quotes and press enter) under Ports (COM & LPT) do you see ā€˜Arduino Unoā€™ listed? If soā€¦ what COM number is it (for exampleā€¦ COM3, COM5ā€¦ etc)

If the arduino is shownā€¦ try this:

Download ā€˜Universal G Code Senderā€™

(direct link to download)
http://bit.ly/1M6z2ys

You may need to install Java (https://www.java.com/en/download/)

Run the ā€˜start-windows.batā€™ file in the UniversalGcodeSender folderā€¦

When UGS comes upā€¦ select the port you found earlier & set the baud to 115200.

Then click ā€˜Openā€™ā€¦

In the Console window below does it show it can connect?

If UGS can connect to the Arduino then you know its a problem with EASELā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll try that when I get home. The COM port will show up as COM6, then it will go away when trying something else. When I open the Arduino program, it will say that COM3 is not valid or something, not giving me the option to change it to COM6.

Always plug the Arduino into same USB plug on your machine.

If you are using a Laptop make sure it cannot hibernate or shut down.

regards Neal

1 Like

If it works try going into the ā€˜Machine Controlā€™ tab and moving the machine around (X+,X-,Y+,Y- buttons)

Iā€™m only a week or so into having an X-Carve also. Iā€™ve noticed that quite often Easel reports not seeing my X-Carve (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit). A reboot usually always cures it. I got tired of rebooting and found that sometimes it seems to help if I restart the Easel background service.

I definitely hear the device connection sound when plugging in the USB cable and see it show in device manager whether Easel works or not [In the old days there may be device conflicts between various hardware (Iā€™m thinking in the 90ā€™s :wink: and I wonder if you have disabled things like parallel port, modems, serial port, etc that you may never use via the BIOS (if you have a BIOS)]. Because I have nothing else connected to the laptop, and the serial port takes up COM1, my X-Carve is always COM3. I recommend disconnecting joysticks, USB audio, etc before carving.

Here are my steps when Easel canā€™t find the X-Carve:

1. Restart the Easel background service via the Windows Services manager
  2. Connect the USB cable to an already running Arduino
  3. Refresh Easel in Chrome
  4. If all else fails, reboot and immediately go into Easel via Chrome

IWFM :wink:

Edit: Also, Iā€™m just starting to use BobCAD CAM and UGS. Nothing to report there yet except to say that I also started using UGS to debug the X-Carve connection when Easel wasnā€™t working. You should be able to move the machine around via the arrow keys in UGS. You might have to run a homing routine or override via either $H or $X. UGS has buttons for these if you donā€™t want to type the command.

Go to Tools->Port to select a different port.

I know everyone is trying to help, but part of the problem here is that there are too many options being presented.

I would recommend that you pick one program to use to debug your system. Then when you have it working you can branch out to the others knowing that your machine works and that if the program you are trying to get working doesnā€™t work then itā€™s a problem with that program and not your machine.

I also recommend that Easel not be the program you use to verify your machine.

Use the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor, or Universal G-code Sender (UGCS, UGS). UGCS might be the easier program to use as it has some built in functions that you would have to use G-code to get the Serial Monitor to perform that same function.

Once you have the machine working with the one you pick, then go back to Easel. Then you will know that you are fighting an Easel problem and not a problem with the machine.

[Edit] I just thought of something else. Turn off automatic updates in Windows 10. Uninstall the Arduino driver. Install the Arduino driver from the Arduino web site. Then do your testing.

1 Like

@RobertCanning

Not so. All ideas are welcome as one person can not think of everything and each of us has different experience to bring to the table. Nic has been fighting this for a long time.

Before I get home and start another round of ideas, could you guys humor me for a second. I saw an ad for a micro computer. Instead of using an older laptop, what about getting a micro computer for this and this alone? Not sure it would solve my problems, but it would give a fresh start with everything.

1 Like

Do you have a specific model in mind? I could take a look at the specs.

Gigabyte? I saw it at Fryā€™s for about $130, just needs a hard dive, and I have a dozen of those laying around