Carving keeps stopping (Resolved)

Resolved!!. It seems that the simplest answer is the right one. I got a cheap( $18.00) 4 port hub from Amazon and I have completed several very long carves with no stopping issues.

A hub really is a different beast than an active cable. When you plug in an active cable the PC doesn’t recognize it until you add a USB device, but with a hub it recognizes it with a beep right away. So now I am using the 5M active cable connected to the hub and then a short cable to the Xcarve controller.

Thanks,

I am happy for you. I was not quite so lucky. A powered hub did seem to help but still had some disconnects when the carve finishes and shuts off the spindle and shopvac.
My next attempt at resolve will be an SSR ipo the IOT.

Post Link?

I am about to pull my hair out with this issue. I will try a hub next but honestly, this is BS. There has to be a better way to connect the computer to the XC controller.

3 Likes

If you open up the Xcontroller and connect the USB-cable directly to the motherboard, does this affect things?
Electrical noise can be a major pain in the behind, and source of noise may not always be related to the CNC itself.

1 Like

Okay, I will try that if the hub doesn’t work. Shouldn’t be this hard though.

One more question, if I had 2 circuits, would you put the XCarve and computer on one, the router and dust collection on the other, or another combination?

I would try to separate them if I could.
Mine share one circuit and when I turn the ceiling light ON or OFF it kills the USB connection. So YMMV :wink:

1 Like

I wanted to follow up, and thank you and everyone else sho chimed in for their help. I added a powered USB hub and ran a mini usb cable directly from the XController to my computer and , knock on wood, I haven’t had the issue any longer. Next step will be to put the XCarve on a dedicated power line, just for good measure. Thanks again!

It seems to me like this is a common issue for people controlling the XCarve via Laptop. The solution I found on Windows was to go to Power Options, Advances Settings, USB settings, USB selective suspend settings, and change from enable to disable.
These are set by default to enable in order to save battery. The basic concept is that, if enabled when the device is not receiving any data transfer then it will ignore the USB. By disabling this the computer will continue to recognize the USB during longer cuts when there is no data being transferred. Which keeps the cut going.
From my knowledge the Xcarve takes the milling data and stores it but also needs to be connected to the computer and internet for the whole cut. If the USB is disconnected it will end the cut. This discconection of the USB as explained above is more than just physical connection.

1 Like

Good post - but internet connection is not required for carving, only opening Easel and pull up your design/edit or save it require connection.
Easel is run from Easel Local which handle the carving data transmission.

You have a link for the hub you are using?

**Tumao USB 3.0 4-port Superspeed Hub with 5V 2A Power Adapter, Powered USB Hub Built-in 23.6 inch USB 3.0 Cable with On Off Switch LED Indicator for iMac, MacBooks, PCs and Laptops (USB 3.0 Hub with Power Adapter) **
**Sold by: Kicpot **

CDN$ 18.99

This is from Amazon.ca as I live in Canada.

2 Likes

Thank you guess its only in Canada but there are similar ones .

Lots of that going around, both personally and from viewing other recent threads.

Some good advice in them that’s helped me plus there is a driver update available

So glad to find this thread. I swapped out my MacBook with a NUC and had disconnect issues. Powered hub did the trick. Thanks!

Just thought I’d add to this:
I am running an x-carve with the dust collector attachment and A jet 1100vx dust collector. I had issues with long carves stopping mid carve. I’d get the “how’d it come out” pop up then I’d have to unplug my usb cable and re plug it in. especially with MDF. I had my dust shoe grounding clamp ran to ground as well as an additional wire running from ground to the body of my dust collector.

One day I noticed the ground wire on my dust collector was hanging near the bag of my dust collector and a bunch of particles were collecting on the inside of the bag near the wire. which tipped me off to the fact that there is still some static building up. I dropped a piece of steel bailing wire into the bag and connected it to ground. I haven’t had a problem since.

I think it’s a pretty easy thing to try… and may help some people.

I have tried all the suggested solutions and none of them have worked. On a side note though, I am seeing this weird thing happen when I use Easel. Did anyone else see this before their machine stopped?

Hey there, I have been having this same issue after about the first month of use.

Here is what I have tried to date with no luck…

• 2 New circuits for X-Controller Only
  • Removing the Bulk Head Adapter
  • Replacement Motherboard from Inventables
  • Re-grounded my entire dust collection system from the vacuum boot by the router to the vacuum, and to a new 4’ deep earth grounded copper rod.
  • Battery Backup surge protector
  • 3 different computers
  • Checked Brushes
  • Removed router cord from drag chain
  • Checked all connections
  • Ran in environment free of other power tools
  • LAN Connection to PC
  • Ferrite choke on USB

I will run 3 or 4 good carves then it will start having the stopping mid carve issue. I just ordered a powered USB hub to try. Anybody else having issues? I am really bummed about this.

how do you get to machine inspector?