A friend of mine works at a custom molding shop, and they had an order for some 97" mahogany pieces. They had to order 10’ boards so they were left with a bunch of 23" cutoffs, all 5" wide and 5/4. The pallet the wood came on was also secured using even more mahogany ~40x8" and 5/4. Lots of perfectly good mahogany that was bound for the WOOD CHIPPER! He snagged them from the pile and gave them to me so I thought it would be perfect to start a thinline build I’m calling the Chipcaster due to the woods near dismemberment. This is my first electric build, and so far it has been a breeze compared to the acoustics I’ve built.
At any rate… I’ll be sharing the Easel project and SVG source files once I get a little further down the road.
Here’s the original idea:
The boards I used for the body: 5x23" 5/4, ripped to 1.5 inches and edge glued.
The glue up was 13.25" wide, which is too big for my planer! I used some side clamps to plane both sides on the xcarve just like leveling the wasteboard.
Next I ripped two of the boards into 0.3" pieces and planed them down to 1/4". Lots of waste here as I don’t have a bandsaw, so I had a 1/8" kerf I also don’t have a jointer so I used my Dewalt 611 and a flush cut bit to joint the boards. This actually worked really well. The glue joint is great. I edge glued these pieces using tape just like I would for an acoustic top.
After gluing the top, I cut the pickup pockets, “f hole”, and drilled my bridge pilot holes. I ran into an issue where my drawing was off 1/16" from my bridge (Fender MIM standard). Gah… so I had to fill the holes with end grain saw dust and some titebond. At least it’s under the bridge! The top has not been sanded yet so that’s why you can see glue.
I’m going to try cutting the binding channel with the x-carve using an outside path. My binding will arrive tomorrow, so I’ll run a test piece and see how it fits before cutting the body profile. To be continued…