Construction, Joinery, and Assembly Information

Box Construction

There are currently two construction method options for cabinet carcasses: butt-joints and blind-dados.

• Butt joints
    The image below shows an exploded view of the cabinet above with the butt-joint construction method. Users have a number of options to attach the cabinet panels to assemble the carcass such as pocket screws, biscuits, dowels, etc.

• Blind dado
    The image below shows an exploded view of the first cabinet above with the blind-dado construction method. The cabinet panels have dados and rabbets that will be cut by the CNC.

Drawer Construction

There is currently one construction method option for drawer boxes: locking rabbet. To avoid the need for flip-milling, the drawer bottom panel will be dadoed by the side panels, and will join to the front and back panels with a butt joint. As we continue to develop Easel Cabinetmaker, users can expect additional options for drawer (and carcass) construction methods to be added.

Supported Cabinet Hardware

Easel Cabinetmaker currently offers support for a limited selection of hardware. This means that Easel Cabinetmaker will automatically add pockets and drill holes to user’s cabinet panels to make it easier to install the specified hardware. Users are able to remove these geometries from the nested panels in Easel if desired.

Some parameters within Easel Cabinetmaker will be dependent on the hardware. Currently, drawer width adjustment is not available, because we only have one supported slide type. As with all areas of Easel Cabinetmaker, expect additional updates! We will continue to add support for additional hardware models to give users more options.

• Door Hinges
    Easel Cabinetmaker currently supports Blum CLIP standard 100° full overlay hinges (Manufacturer part no.: 71M2550) and compatible Blum frameless full-overlay hinge plates. Easel Cabinetmaker will add pocket and drill geometries for hinge cups and hinge mounting screw locations.

• Drawer Slides
    Easel Cabinetmaker currently supports Blum TANDEM 563 and 569 series drawer slides. Shallow drill-holes will be added to the bottom face of the drawer bottom panel for Blum T51.1901 locking devices. Drill holes based on the specified length of the drawers will also be added to the inside face of the cabinet side panels to mount the drawer slides/runners. Pocket holes for the slide’s rear hooks are also automatically added to drawer back panels.

• Other Hardware (pulls, knobs, shelf-pins, etc.)
    For other hardware, support is not limited to specific models. Holes for pulls, knobs, and shelf pin holes will be drilled by the CNC. The diameter of these holes will depend on the diameter of the bit(s) used to carve the project.

I’m loving the design software. Just a side comment I’ve noticed. If I create a drawer item, but haven’t already checked the “include slide mounting holes” option it won’t create the holes for a drawer system shorter than 24" in depth. You’ll need to view it in the “Wireframe” view and increase the depth to 24", then you can decrease the depth to 22" and the holes will be available for the Easel.

How do I get the exploded view?

You have to select a cabinet first, which currently means double-clicking on the cabinet. I think you can also just select one from the sidebar.

Then click on the menu in the bottom-left, which looks like 3 vertical dots

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 9.23.25 AM

Then select Explode

Thank you. I think what was confusing me is the grayed out box that says exploded that I couldn’t select.