Cutting waste board on the CNC for X-CARVE

I also live in canada and was not enthused with ordering a waste board and shipping it to the great white north so i made my own.

one problem i ran into is trying to find the t-slot insertion nuts locally. Pretty much no one i could find stock it so i did the reverse. a m5 button cap screw will fit in the slot in the extrusion but is wide enough not to make it through. Then i drilled 4 holes (i only need a 500mm waste board) and used a 1/2 forstner bit to drill down about 2/3 of the way and used a flanged nut to tighten it down. Worked like a charm.

I also used a piece of 1/2" plywood instead of mdf.

I finally then used a 1/4" bit to drill 12 holes for captive nuts, cut out a bounding box of the functional work area and finally added some UHF (Ultra High Friction) tape.

I got all of my supplies at home depot and lee valley.

Similar to others I chose to make my own wasteboard instead of shipping it.

I made a video about the process and how I built it here: https://youtu.be/YwU6fIYHvDM

I thought maybe it would help those that are also building their own.

2 Likes

would you share the drawing for this?

In the waste Board, the 800×800mm work area is centered on X rigth?
But how many mm is it the work area displaced from the top?

I’m using the dewalt router like you

Thanks

Sorry
 just saw this post. Since I am printing the graphic with the laser I am only concerned with the origin. Where it prints close to the top will be determined by the size of the gantry and i have not measured where it will end up at the upper corners.
I took a break because I had some projects to mill on this and the other machine, and I built a foldable work table / mobile cart to hold the larger X-Carve. Once I can get the electronics mounted in the cart I’ll get the laser going and finish the wasteboard printing. I have discovered that I will need to seal the wasteboard after burning it with the laser. Otherwise it smears pretty bad (think printer toner).

Bonjour,

Je sais que votre post date un peu mais avec un peu de chance vous me répondrez. Je voulais savoir si vous avez payé des frais de douanes ? et si oui à combien se sont-ils élevés ?

Bonjour,

Et oui, une petite taxe à la douane

Un peu moins de 300 euros si mes souvenirs sont bons
 Mais ils ne m’ont contrĂŽler qu’un paquet sur les deux envoyĂ©s.
Car, au vu des prix de l’expĂ©dition, qui se font sur chaque paquets et non sur la totalité  Je n’ai pas pris la planche martyre - que je me suis usinĂ© tout seul - ça faisait un 3eme paquet hors de prix pour une planche de MDF

Donc un paquet avec les rails qui sont passés, et un paquet avec tout le reste qui a été bloqué en douane.
Mais, vous pouvez avoir la chance de passer au travers. J’avais eu 100 euros de remise car achetĂ© lors de la Black Friday, ça compense un peu

En espérant avoir répondu à vos attentes !?

I understand every language but Greek. They are all Greek to me!

So thanks to @MakerMark, I was able to find the drawings for the 1000mm Wasteboard in which I was able to put a CAD drawing together that enables me to create a tessellated wasteboard that can be machined our by the X-Carve itself. I am yet to cut this out myself but I would be happy to share the results once its been finalised.

Is this something that people would be interested in themselves? It requires a few extra T-Nuts on the central extruded brace (and maybe some additional extruded aluminium perpendicular to the central brace)

Jack

2 Likes

I created a new one for mine. didn’t bother putting the graphics on it. its going to get messed up anyway.

1 Like

@StephenCook do you have a svg file for the 1000x1000 waste board or know where I can find one?

@GregBuckwalter you can download the PDF here:
REV F 30300-03.pdf 1000mm wasteboard drawing

Thanks Jeremy for posting that. I didn’t see the comment till now.

1 Like

do people put down another board on top to save the waste board?

It’s the sacrifice used to appease the CnC gods to prevent their anger from making holes in your waste-board. Some even double up and use the double sacrificial wasteboard. That prevents the gods’ god from making holes. MDF is recommended since it self contains many layers :smiling_imp::grin:

2 Likes

My next one will just be a plane 3/4" piece of mdf, no holes. I find screws always work best!

1 Like

I really like that. I have the same wasteboard but I have yet to use my machine with it. It’s been brutal getting my orders organized and priced.

Hi Blair how did u go making your waste board?

Looking for some pointers and help as I need to make one as well

Thanks

Hi David

How did your waste board turn out??

Looking for any hints or tips

Do you have any plans for your wasteboard ?