Dan and Allen's X-Controller Experiences

No, that one was trashed. The top cut is just offset from the bottom ones, which unfortunately put those pockets on the top way off to one side of the part, instead of centered where they should be. It went in the scrap bin, and another piece replaced it in the build order.

What is it, if you don’t mind me asking, Dan?

It makes me sad to see a beautiful piece of wood like that messed up.

Oh, this is the base portion of a pen-and-ink stand. When they’re done, they look like this.

And yeah, it’s kind of a drag to have a nice piece of hardwood get trashed. Price of doing business, though, I guess. Just happens from time to time.

2 Likes

There is a chance that electrical noise can interfere with USB, is there a chance that something USB related did this?

Check the stepper motor Molex connectors for any electrical arcing that may have happened on the pins. What you experienced is what happens on our CNC machines when an intermittent connection happens with those type of connectors.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s a good thought. I did not think to check my terminal blocks, I wonder if one of my screws has backed out a bit. I’ll double-check those! My motors are direct-wired, so no connector issues there, but there COULD theoretically at least be a short or intermittent connection at the terminal blocks.

1 Like

Quick question(s) to the testers regarding relays:

Apart from the spindle output on the X-Controller, there are 2 accessory outputs. How do you independently trigger them in GRBL? I assume one’s on/off is M7/M9 (or M8/M9) ? What about the second?

In case of an AC spindle, the spindle output is of no use due to PWM, right?

1 Like

I am using a Dewalt router so one of the relay controlled AC outlets is used to turn on/off the Dewalt, the other relay controlled outlet has my dust collector plugged into it. It is controlled with the Aux 1 output, mist gcode M7 on and M9 off. The X-Controller also has a second Aux output that is controlled with the Flood M8 (on) and M9 (off). (I may have Aux 1 and Aux 2 backwards)

So if you do not have an AC router you can control the two relay outlets with Aux 1 and Aux 2.

2 Likes

Allen,

which pins on the board line up with the M7 and M8 commands.

I assume that one of these, plug into the arduino A3 input.

Can you please clarify this for me?

I am not sure if the Gshield has both of the outputs, the Gshield docs I see only show the A3 pin as coolant enable. The X-Controller may have additional connections that are not available on the standard Gshield.

I have my spindle output routed to one of the two relays on the box, so when I order the spindle on in a program, it cycles the relay to power up my router. The second one I have connected to AUX2, which is controlled by the “flood coolant” command (M9). That one is used to start and stop my dust collector (which is a shop-vac).

Thank you Allen.

I forgot that we were discussing the X-Controller and not the basic electronics.

Thank you, Allen & Dan.

So that would make them kind of “semi-independent” outputs; i.e. independent on (M7/M8), but common off (M9). I guess a simple workaround for switching only one off could be

M7 (aux 1 on)
M8 (aux 2 on)
(execute some code)
M9 (both off)
M8 (aux 2 back on)
(execute the rest of the code)

Another thought that crosses my mind is that the AC spindle & the shop vac could use the same auxiliary. Apart from the time that the spindle moves above the workpiece in G0’s, while the spindle is on, it makes sense for the shop vac to be on too. (EDIT: this could more than double power consumption, but this is another story)

An LED striplight is also a good candidate for relay control. That would be useful in a monitoring over webcam scenario. This could also be accommodated by an RPI’s GPIO and spare one aux on the X-Controller.

Time (and toddlers) permitting, I would love building a relay box myself with a couple of amazon SSR-25DA’s and the rocker on-off-on switches mentioned in this thread.

I am not quite sure yet how I could end up using a relay box. I am just exploring the possibilities and enjoying learning at the moment. And of course, until X-Controller launches officially, this is all theory :smile:

1 Like

Seems like that would work just fine, code-wise. Since I only have one outlet on an aux slot (the other is controlled by the spindle output) so far it hasn’t been a problem for me. I’ve thought of all kinds of interesting things to do with the second output, so far my two most serious contenders have been an air supply controlled by a solenoid that would blow directly against the bit for greater chip removal, and a similar system only with mist coolant for aluminum work.

Yes, I would like to make the aux 2 into a solenoid that controls compressed air as well. Please share this mod if you come across the solution.

Happy X-Carving!!!

Shouldn’t be hard at all, I’d think. Just pick a solenoid that triggers with ~5v, and you should be golden… McMaster has a ton of them available for all different kinds of situations. :smile:

1 Like

How did you create that mount portion?

Any “PROJECTED” release window for these items?

The vertical stand component was actually made in my shop without the use of any CNC at all. Just drill press, band saw, and sanding. :smile: