Dewalt DWP611 Dust Shoe

Yes you are right but what do you think about letting the shoe float on two shafts or maybe spring loading the shoe?

By the way do you feel the air diverter is a must?

Now my last one working freely on the surface going complete unit up and down. You can watch movie I posted a little up in this post. It helps, but I had enough. I will buy that soft skin for this. Air diverter you never need if you’re planning to use dust shoe. Air comes from Dewalt is actually cleaning the cut and generating enough turbulence in it. Air Diverter stops that action. I’m against that.

2 Likes

I just finished this combo air diverter and dust shoe. I carved it out of a 1/2’ thick plastic cutting board.

1 Like

I wanted to point out that the other day I was browsing for brush options. Just because I want to see and feel before I buy. And the ice scrapers that have remove able brushes should work. There’s a kind with two brushes and they are just slid into the plastic and held together with metal.

Just an FYI

1 Like

I did the same thing. I am still finding “shredded coconut” around the shop from that carve but it was worth it!

Heres my dust collection:

stole the craft foam idea from this post. just zip tied the hose to the router and wrapped the foam dust skirt around them with a rubber band. quick and easy and works pretty good.

4 Likes

Taylor, do you have a dwg, dxf, or svg file done up for this that I could have? I really like this design.

Sorry I don’t. Just the Easel. I drew the parts in Sketchup and used the .svg plugin to export to svg. I resized and lined up all the individual parts in Easel. After the project I got rid of the sketchup and svg since I wasn’t going to need it again and figured anyone with an x carve can use Easel.

Sorry I don’t. Just the Easel. I drew the parts in Sketchup and used the
.svg plugin to export to svg. I resized and lined up all the individual
parts in Easel. After the project I got rid of the sketchup and svg
since I wasn’t going to need it again and figured anyone with an x carve
can use Easel.

Alan, I am making a dust shoe this weekend based on your design. The one thing I would like to change is how the vacuum tube is held to the side bracket, You have the three adjustable height bolts, I am think about using magnets (three on the tube attaching to three on the bracket).

Based on your experience with your working dust shoe, do you think the magnets will be able to hold the assembly firmly enough? The little neodymium disc magnets are crazy strong. I am just not sure how much lateral force the dust she encounters. Due to the long moment arm a little force at the bottom of the shoe could exert considerable force at the attachment to the bracket.

The reason I want to use magnets instead of bolts is so it will be easy to remove the entire dust shoe assembly (just leaving the bracket bolted to the spindle mount). It just seems to me that it will be much easier to change bits with the entire dust shoe out of the way.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

If your hose pulls, magnet gives up in middle of the job. I’m using only one bolt to hold position with fly nut. Other two bolts just for guiding the unit’s up and down adjustment by the bit size. The bottom brushed part is already holding by two magnets, if you stick with upper part thickness, you will not have any difficulties for changing the Bit. Simply pull bottom part out, change your bit, do Z zero. Put back again. That is my opinion. One other option is, using complete clear acrylic on top. You don’t have to worry about window if you do.

I am using a piece of 1/4 inch clear acrylic for the top portion.

1 Like

I’m using a shoe with Alan’s design, and am very happy with it. My top plate is made of 0.093 clear acrylic which is a little flimsier than I’d like but is doing the job well enough that I can’t be bothered to swap it out.

As Alan mentioned, the wingnut is really the only thing holding it on, the other bolts are just for alignment. You can take the whole shoe off just by taking the wingnut off the middle bolt and it comes right off. For routine bit changes, you can just pull the bottom off the magnets and not even have to fuss with the wingnut.

It’s a fantastic design and I’m super happy with it.

1 Like

I think I can retrofit mine to that snap off design. But where do you guys get the good neo(whatever) magnets? I can bust up some dead hard drives but those magnets are RIDICULOUS (I like to dumpster dive).

I picked up a package of magnets from Home Depot or Lowes for less than $5. I still have a few left from it after the dust shoe.

KentCNC is sending me a new iteration of the lower shoe, should be here monday according to USPS. This version uses a much more flexible brush material, which hopefully should solve the z-upthrust problem I was having with the original version. I’ll report back as soon as I can test it!

1 Like

http://www.leevalley.com/US

Make sure ordering Magnet - Magnet washer and Magnet cup in same time. They’re super cheap.

Not sure if they will sell small quantities to the public but they have 0.006" diameter soft bristle strips… Will call Monday if I remember.

http://www.sealeze.com/ind/ezflex2.html

Edit* here is a horse hair brush strip you can get in 3’ lengths with 2" bristles. Might work? Not sure of the price
http://www.tanisbrush.com/industrial-brushes/strip-brushes/horse-hair-strip-brushes-4

1 Like