Dinosaur and other animal skeletons!

Try the stegosaurus…it is a big one and very nice.

1 Like

Yes you do! I think we should start a leader board to see who can cut one out the quickest.

OK, that will be the next one I do.

1 Like

@sketch42:

Will you offer the instructions in a PDF file, please?

I need to make one of these for my father-in-law, then offer to sell him the instruction page!!! lol

1 Like

You can always save the project page as a pdf from your browser. You’ll either make some money or a new enemy. :smile:

1 Like

Yep. Even simpler! Thanks!!!

1 Like

I was planning to hold off, but now that you’ve got the absolute best dinosaur ever (Triceratops, of course), I can’t resist. I’m cutting it out of 2.75mm plywood with a 1.31mm bit, and it looks like it’s going great. I’ll post a picture when I’m done, but I just wanted to say…

THANK YOU @ErikJenkins AND @sketch42!!!

2 Likes

I used some scrap sheathing (2.75mm thick), and a 1.31mm single flute spiral upcut bit with serrations. 0.7mm DOC, 980mm/min (default for the project). The difference between the wood size and the smaller bit worked out perfectly, the pieces have a nice friction fit together.

Total cut time was 97 minutes, with a lot of time added because I included tabs (which still has the full-raise bug). Actual in-wood time was probably closer to 80 minutes. I used the basic 24V spindle, 12k RPM (in automatic). I imagine with a Dewalt, this would have been done in 1/4 of the time.

Here’s the cutout, with business card for scale:

And the final Triceratops, assembled unsanded, again with the business card for scale:

My wife is going out of town for a couple days, and I’ve got an itch to scale it up a bit to where I can assemble it out of 3/4" plywood. That should make it about 8’ long, 3’ tall, and 2’ wide. Too bad she read my mind and already said no big Triceratops. She never said no about the 6x T-Rex or Saber-Tooth Tiger though… :smile:

5 Likes

I love it! Also, I think everyone who cuts one of these thinks about doing a giant one out of ply! :wink::+1:

Great job.

Also, I think you mean Triceratops, but I’ll be doing the Stegosaurus next though.

You’re right, I think I had Stego on the brain because of your earlier post. Trico for the win! :smile:

1 Like

Brilliant idea, the bigger the better.

1 Like

I posted a video in the “it’s alive” thread of the folks at Laguna CNC making one out of a full sheet of 1/2 inch plywood.

Here is a link back to that post

2 Likes

I’m watching you guys and wondering. Don’t you ever feed these animals, they are so skinny. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just skin and bones

2 Likes

I just mocked up the velociraptor svg in fusion 360 to cut it out of aluminum. It’s gonna take ~2 hours, yikes. Maybe I’ll just stick with wood and crank one out in about 5-10 minutes, haha.

2 Likes

OK, I have a conversion question. Since getting VCarve, I do almost all work in it. To get the SVGs for the dinos converted, I take the SVG into InkScape and save as an EPS so I can import it into VCarve. Everything looks clean, but the notches are exactly 0.1". Do I need to scale the drawing up to accommodate the exact thickness of the material, like 0.125"?

Further clarification: when I import a dino SVG to Easel, the drawing is larger than what I end up with in VCarve. In Easel, the notch appears to be 0.125".

Did you try converting to DXF file in InkScape. Vcarve likes DXF more.

Could it be that the SVG is in mm and you are importing in as inches?

Is there a specific reason you don’t just let Easel cut it?

Another option is to use the v-carve file…I can post it.

I just tried all combinations of saving DXF from InkScape. It appears it isn’t translating properly.