Dinosaur and other animal skeletons!

Nice idea

Cut this one out today:

6 Likes

Thats awesome! anyone tried cut these in acrylic or any other material?

2 Likes

Going for life size?

T-Rex hands could be grasping the top of the fence! Be careful you don’t become a victim of your own success :grinning: I’d probably drive off the road if I saw something like that before I’ve had sufficient caffeine…

Chris

1 Like

@sketch42

Have you entered this in the Halloween Decorations Idea contest?

I would like to Make a raptor! I am looking at using a 1000mm x 1000m x-carve and would like to use plywood. I want to make it like the one above but only have easel. can anyone tell me the material thickness and send me the file. probably a big ask but would be grateful. tried look into v carve etc. but only got a 2009 macbook and no copy of windows!

The easel file is on the inventable’s project page and the material is 1/8" thick.

I cut mine using Easel on a MacBook.

Click the link in the top post and it should open up the project page.

If your material is thicker than 1/8" just scale up the pieces until the slots are big enough accommodate your material thickness.

is this just trial and error or is there an easy way on easel?

They’re still Skinny. :laughing:

1 Like

Here’s what I do:

• Import the SVG into Easel, or open up the project that is already made in Easel.
  • Create a circle that is the diameter of the thickness of your material (for me it was 6.8mm)
  • Select all of the shapes and then deselect the circle
  • Start dragging the corner of the selection to scale the shapes up or down
  • Once the slots are the same size as the circle you can stop scaling and delete the circle

Hi! Amazing projects! I have just started with the cnc, i have a quiet cut spindle with er11, what type of bit do you suggest me for this type of work?

1 Like

With that spindle I was using a 1/16 spiral up cut but listed in the instructions, but since then I carve these much bigger out of 7mm ply and use a 1/8 in 2 flute straight bit for less tear out.

What pieces would you use if you just wanted the head?

If you are referring to the Velociraptor then you want all of the pieces with 1, 2, 3, or 4 on them… That would be the skull top left and right and the jaw left and right and the piece that holds them all together…

I’ve made a few of these out of Masonite, but would like plywood better, but what was sold to me as 1/8" ply was more like 2.8mm and too loose. Does anyone know a cheap source for actual 1/8" ply in the eastern US?

You can scale it up and down super-easy. Select everything and increase or decrease by a best guess estimate, then draw a circle that’s 2.8mm and put it in one of the slots. If the circle is too small, decrease everything. If the circle is too large, increase everything. You can do it fairly easily, just make sure the circle is the same size each time.

After you think you’re happy, make a copy of your project and erase all but a couple pieces with slots. Then you only have to plan to cut out the two pieces, and tweak the original project if the fit isn’t to your liking.

1 Like

Yep, what @RobertA_Rieke said

In fact all material will vary some, so you may need to scale each time.

Speaking of… the large version of the Velociraptor has different feet and ankles to shift the center of gravity, so if anyone is interested in doing a larger version of it, let me know and I’ll publish the larger one.

1 Like