Dinosaur and other animal skeletons!

Large velociraptor? Publish it please! :smile: Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll have time, but my wifeā€™s out of town and I would love to have a large one sitting in the living room when she gets backā€¦

4 Likes

Yeah it is out of 7mm ply (1/4in ish) and stands about a meter long and almost a meter tall :wink:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the length and width required for the 7mm board?

I think I had to do it on two pieces.

sketch42, sorry if this is already stated in the post, but does anyone have access to other animals like a lion maybe. And how easy/difficult is it to enlarge the designs?

Iā€™ve thought about other animals and am probably going to cut some more soon, so that might be a good Idea to design a few more or at least find some somewhere and load them in easel.

As far as scaling is concerned, it is all based on the thickness of the material and the slots used for assembling the pieces. Up in the thread somewhere we discuss how to scale the pieces based on thickness of material. If youā€™d go smaller then it is just a matter of scaling and cutting, but the bigger you scale the more the weight and balance of the individual animal comes into play. For example, the velociraptor needed adjustments to the feet to make them longer and more material around the joints to help it balance the weight better at the larger size.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I figured it was manual manipulation of the connections points. In the long run it would probably just be easier to design a lion from scratch rather trying to modify one of the plans I found online to fit my particular material.

I have used inkscape and made a square the thickness of the material then covered the slot with the new square (larger is the only way I have went) and then used path-union this just cuts a new slot that is lager for the thicker material.

i wanted to create a 3d copy of these puzzles and then print them for a project in school and i was curious if anyone had a copy of these dinosaurs, hopefully the t Rex, with measurements and constraints labeled. i would appreciate it greatly!

Someone has done the T-Rex:

1 Like

Found a great source for some wood puzzle plans. There is also a lot of information on how to clean up files found on the internet. It has a lot of content, I only made it 1/4 though in an hour! You will need to register for the forum to access the files.
Enjoy!

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-woodworking/5276-dinosaur-skeleton-models-dxf-files.html