Dust boot inspired by YouTube video

what dimensions do you need? I have calipers in hand.

Neat! I had the same thought but didn’t have the idea for how to implement. seems straight forward enough!

I have also contemplated this my but my CAD skills are lacking.

Having a cross stream of air to blast the dust into a vac port would be ideal.

I have had the thought of using a dual port exhaust. Have one hose coming down both sides of the back of the spindle. Then do two cross streams of air blowing toward the ports. This way the Airflow will be flowing in a X formation with the bit at the center.

This should help push all of the dust toward the back of the machine where the vac ports are stationed. Should give a large area of moving air to assist in collection.

1 Like

Sounds like some experimenting will be in your future. :hugs:

I think the challenge is to not make the dust shoe too thick so that it reduces Z axis height and to still allow access to the spindle lock to change the bit.
Another possible problem could be air turbulence affecting the efficiency of the vacuum.

Anyone here well versed in fluid dynamics?

realy nice !!

I’m looking forward to seeing the finished!!

This simple design works well enough for me.

3 Likes

I quite like this Makita one from @KamilSteglinski (image is created from his STL file)
MShoe, the Makita Dust Shoe.

I just measured my Dewalt (a UK model of the 611).

The diameter of the lower portion where the boot will fit is 69 mm. The amount of space from the bottom of that (69mm) body to the bottom of the Inventables made holder for the router is 28 mm. We have had some discussion about the difference between the UK Dewalt models and the US one and that has centred around the mains lead. It is possible that the top plastic is different enough to cause the US model to protrude a different amount than mine (28 mm).

I see that this idea has been done before but it is always nice to have a new take on it.

Good luck with your design.

Peter

Hi Phil

You need to be able to access the collet easily in order to change a cutter during a job and so you must either be able to do it with the dust boot in place or have an easy way to remove it.

I am not trying to push my own design, far from it as I am sure there are and will be better ones available, but I have ensured that my Ultimate Dust Boot has an easy and quick way to remove the boot in order to change the cutter.

I think that you design has a huge amount of merit and you just need to look at that one aspect in order to make it perfect.

Peter

1 Like

I Think that is a great design. I would like to see how the clips that hold the hose are attached. Is the hose all that holds it, or something mounted?

Hi Phil

Your 3D drawings are beautiful - is it possible that you could make a video about how you created them?

What software did you use and how did you reproduce the yellow casting of the Dewalt so well?

Peter

I am not an engineer!

However, @PhilJohnson when I first looked at your design my first concern was that the incoming air from the spindle exhaust would match or exceed the airflow from the dust collection and therefore in such a restricted system the hole where dust would flow into would have little to no suction.

So two thoughts I had were:

1. Ccould you utilize the exhaust (in a more directed way and not in the same chamber as the dust collection hose) to blow the dust that is on the workpiece into the air to allow for the dust collection to collect it more efficiently.

2. Or could you create extra suction by injecting the exhaust into the dust collection hose in the natural flow of debris creating a sort of Venturi Pump? Or would that have the same negative effect?

Again I’m not an engineer but I thought I’d chime in because I love the idea of using the exhaust on the 611 to do something other than make a huge mess.

1 Like

You guys are WAY over thinking it.

Serious mad skills in the design and rendering for sho. While you all are there how bout knocking out a version for the Bosch Colt… I am liking the idea of using that exhaust or at least not blocking it which probably will not help the life of hte router.

1 Like

I have auto desk I shall crack it open and see what I can do…

1 Like

The blower in the Dewalt will never match the suction of a serious dust collection or shopvac. Your larger shop vacs have 300+W of air movement. While the Dewalt doesn’t even come close. Best example would be put down a golf ball sized rock, and let the Dewalt blow on it, and it won’t move, hit it with your shop vac and it sucks right up…

1 Like

The links work. Looking forward to giving this a go. Thanks!

1 Like

+1 I’ve just grabbed the DXF/DWG files for this and I’m resizing to suit a Makita router. I’ll have to make some small modification so I can still access the spindle lock.

Is that just pine board you’re cutting it from?

1 Like

Hi Phil and Everyone

Even if people are not going to build this particular dust shoe I think that it deserves a close look as it demonstrates a very slick and professional approach to the design and execution. It is lovely and I look forward to a video showing it in use.

I am sure it will be excellent.

Peter

3 Likes