I picked up a Shapeoko2 build last Jan ’15 to get my feet wet in CNC after having built and modded my MendelMax 2 3D printer. Shortly after it arrived, Inventables released the X-Carve. The project went into a bit of a hiatus as I decided I wanted to use a few X-Carve parts for the build and waited for availability of said parts. I decided to use the Makita RT0701C since it goes down to 10K RPM as opposed to the Dewalt DWP611’s 16K. I know the Dewalt can be driven lower by using the SuperPID, but at $155 it does add cost and the Dewalt is heavier than the Makita. In the future, I think I can better use that money toward a proper VFD spindle.
The dust shoe goal
There are quite a few dust shoe options for the Dewalt, but not nearly as many for the Makita. There are few like the Plexiglas rigged up jobs or the 3D printed option form the Norwegian group (http://www.norwegiancreations.com/2014/08/an-open-source-cnc-dust-shoe/). So I decided to come up with a simple to use, relatively easy to print, solid dust shoe that uses easy to source replaceable parts such as the brush and magnets. Since the Makita doesn’t have the two screws on the bottom like the Dewalt, I did need to come up with a way to attach the shoe to the machine.
I present to you, the MShoe.
The upper part features channels to deflect the router air off to the sides. It accepts a 2.5 in Rigid shop vac hose. There is a small notch that keys into the router body to prevent the shoe from rotating around. I have mine mounted via a couple of springs along the sides, but a single strip on the left side could also be used. On the bottom there are 8 small recesses for magnets. I used some ¼” magnets, that are actually closer to 8mm, I found at Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Basic-Crafts/Magnets/8mm-Power-Magnets/p/74984). They are about 3.5 mm thick and they are held in with Go2 Glue (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/Go2-Glue.htm). It has some give, like a really thick caulk, which I thought might be better at resisting the impact action of attaching and removing the lower part of the dust shoe. Also it makes it possible to pry the magnets out so they can be reused if the dust shoe needed to be replaced. Other glues such as CA (Super Glue) or Elmer’s School (PVA), or wood glue could be used.
Makita Dust Shoe P1 V1.STL (6.9 MB)
The lower part has matching contours and magnet recesses. Mainly it features a channel for holding the brush material. I used the McMaster Carr Easy-Cut Strip Brush 2” PN 7900T5. No glue or fasteners needed. Simply wedge the brush into the channel and push down firmly on the rubber edging with a flat head screwdriver to push it completely down into the channel. The channel also cants the brush at a 5 degree outward angle so the brush nicely spreads out against the workpiece rather than bunch up or under the dust shoe where it could resist downward travel or get pulled into the bit.
Makita Dust Shoe P2 V3.STL (2.4 MB)
I’m also including two extra versions, one with a more tapered front to reduce the amount of material used to print it and remove the need for supports in the front half of the shoe. The other one has a 2.5” hose boss for attaching dust collection hose directly to it.
Makita Dust Shoe P1 V4.STL (4.6 MB)
Makita Dust Shoe P1 V5.STL (4.8 MB)