Dust boot inspired by YouTube video

Have you considered something like T-Track instead of a 20x20 extrusion for the mount?
T-Track is (typically) 3/4" wide by 3/8" thick (hope I’ve converted those measurements correctly from metric)

1 Like

Phil’s design is almost identical to mine, except that I’m CnC’ing the brackets and my boot is one piece. I also went with extrusion (though I went with 20x20, because it was left over when I converted from 500x500, to 1000 x 635).

Phil, have you checked the actual clearance between the V-wheels on the Z and the X-carriage V-wheel nuts? With the 20x20 extrusion, I’ve only got a whisper between them.

I see them in the rendering, now that I’m looking for them. I had the 20x20 on hand and was relieved that it fit almost perfectly in the space. I will have an identical hole pattern, just with the extrusions hard against the X-carriage face.

1 Like

Thank you for making your drawings available to the community. I am using a different spindle and have been in the design/prototyping phase for a while, so I’m working from my own measurements/drawings (with a cutout for the ACME rod).

1 Like

A butane(?) torch will do it. I used a propane torch and got good results. Takes just a little practice to get it right. Google it. Should get plenty of hits.
John

2 Likes

If you don’t have a torch handy, you can go through progressive grits of sandpaper and then buffing/polishing compounds. The haze is essentially scratches.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to hearing how well it works. I definitely like the knobs you added for setting the height.

1 Like

Shout out to the original designer Mark Chepurny. For all those who don’t want to go through all the work of making your own or you don’t have a 3D printer to make parts or don’t want to modify the x-carriage , the Kickstarter campaign is still on. I got mine at the early bird pricing! Can’t wait to get it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1186424975/suckit-amazing-cnc-dust-boot

Got some pics of mine today.
Here is the rear piece with cutouts to clear the ACME rod. The brush is press-fit in the channel (no epoxy).

Here is the whole assembly. The sides are CNC’d from poplar. I used double-headed nails, in place of hitch pins. The vertical rails are left over extrusion, from my Shapeoko II (when it was 500x500). There is an aluminum arm, to guide the vacuum hose, which is supported from above, with bungee. There is also a hole drilled (not shown) for the endoscope camera, so that I can see the cut from anywhere in the world (via webcam server).

2 Likes

It’s 2-1/2" universal hose. I got it at HD. I think it’s this 2-1/2 in. x 20 ft. Universal Vacuum Hose

1 Like

Starting my dust boot design now, and just wondering if that extra weight in the X axis doesn’t tweak the whole thing?

This is a great design! I’d like to try to cut this with the xcarve into .5" hdpe. Would you be able to share an editable file i could put into fusion360? I guess like a .obj or something. Im not sure what file type would be best. I assume you know since its what you do lol. I put in the .stl but i am having trouble with scale and i need to adjust for 20mm extrusion. Thanks in advance.

Yes .step would be great. I may have overlooked but I only see .stl above

Yes the arms. The shoe in easel will be great already

1 Like

I tried those but i cant really edit them for the 20mm extrusion. It comes in as one body instead of faces and stuff. .step would be awesome if you have a chance and wanna send em my way

Thanks a ton @PhilJohnson

1 Like

Thanks a bunch man. I’ll be sure to post pics of the finished product. Also, here are the files with the .txt extension removed. @PhilJohnson LEFT ARM.step.txt (158.0 KB)
RIGHT ARM.step.txt (158.0 KB)

1 Like

Lol. The extensions were added again when i uploaded them to the forum

1 Like

Yes they work great :+1:

1 Like

Hey phil do you ming tell me what i need to purchase to make this ? i was going to buy the suckit but this one call my attention. i have a 2-1/2 vacuum hose

Thank again for the help