Easel feature request list (not a discussion thread)

1. DXF Import to easel. This will eliminate the step of having to go to another program to convert to SVG.
  2. Change Easel files to be workspaces with multiple tabs (like Excel) so different operations for the same project can be grouped together (e.g. inlays or any project that require parts cut from multiple sheets/materials). A shape could be right clicked to move it to another ‘sheet’. This will streamline the user interface by reducing a project to a single file which declutters the project listings.
  3. Second drilling operation

This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.

7 Likes

An elapsed timer next to the progress bar showing actual cut time. I haven’t known the time estimates to be that accurate and sometimes I forget to start a timer so I will remember how long something actually took to carve.

This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.

4 Likes

The ability to start a job from a specified point. In other words, if the power goes out 90% into a 6 hour job, one could restart it from the 85% point. (5% cushion just to make sure you start a little before where you were, not past it).

13 Likes

The ability to plug in the probe, attach the clip, and make contact in one step. This could be a feature in the “advanced mode” that others have requested.

“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”

6 Likes

When i add a new shape in easel having it pop up center to my current view.

“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”

2 Likes

Update the position snap points to match all 9 points of a selected item.

8 Likes

Hold space to pan around the workspace (ala Photoshop hand tool)

Update the SVG import process so it does not default to full depth cuts. SVG files with alot of objects cause Easel to bog down and lock up.

The ability to set the spindle speed

The option (in “advanced”) to ignore checking for toolpaths under the smart clamp (Carvey).
Why? because when doing advanced designs in Fusion360 for example, I don’t use the smart clamp and find it extremely annoying to have to redesign when some path ends up under the smart clamp.

To add dimension to a line or tool path. E.G a circle of thickness xmm.

3 Likes

For those of us that have the SuckIt dust boot (and similar), it would be nice if there was a button to retract the Z to the maximum height to allow the boot to be more easily installed before starting the carve. Then, when the "dust boot installed button is pressed, return to the previous Z-position.

8 Likes

Make the RIGHT-click flyout menu more closely match the EDIT pull-down menu. Re-order both for more convenient editing.

Also, ADD a few ‘alignment’ selections to assist in aligning individual parts / multiple selections.

2 Likes

MOVE the ‘export g-code’ out from under the ‘machine’ menu and put it where it belongs, the FILE MENU.

Edit–NOT SHOWN in the image below, but also ELIMINATE the “Import” button from the menu bar and MOVE the only item (“Image Trace”) not shown from that menu to the FILE menu.

Re-design the graphical editing screen allowing it to function more like other graphical editing screens.

Dock the toolbars, etc on the right-side eliminating screen clutter.

5 Likes

Ability to mark designs as Read-only as you can do with files in Windows Explorer. This would end the problem I have of forgetting to make a copy of a design so that I don’t have to UNDO things, which I also sometimes forget to do.

[quote]“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”
[/quote]

2 Likes

In addition to docking the edit toolbar to the right side of the screen as shown in my prior post. Move additional screen elements around to maximize screen editing space.

Import button MOVED to ‘File’ menu.
‘Material’ and ‘Bit’ menu items shortened.
‘Simulate’ button moved to left of ‘Carve’ button.
Toolbar remains docked.

Also, ELIMINATE the full-time PREVIEW screen while editing. ONLY show the PREVIEW/SIMULATE screen when you click the preview/simulate button, thus hiding the editing screen. This will allow full-screen, full-time editing and maximize editing space.

4 Likes

Be able to make small editing changes after importing an SVG.

Reason is: The letter ‘O’ in one of my SVG editors was not rendering correctly in Easel. The outline of the letter was there but I couldn’t tweak the individual letter from within Easel. I found another SVG editor and for whatever reason it produced the desired results. This has occurred with other SVG elements.

Be able to move the spindle without being in Carve mode.

6 Likes