Easel feature request list (not a discussion thread)

There are many feature requests which are scattered through the forum. I had asked the Inventables group at one time if they would set up a central depository for such requests where one could 1) make requests, 2) follow the progress of requests, and 3) allow users to monitor the status of a request.

This has not come about, so let’s try to do it here.

Guidelines for using the thread:

1. State your feature request with enough information to clearly describe the request.
  2. State the reason that you think the request would be an improvement for the Easel community.
  3. If a forum member requests it, edit your request to contain a link to a discussion of that request (as long as the forum lets you edit it).
  4. Do not discuss requests in this thread it is meant to be list and nothing more.
  5. This only works if everyone co-operates.
  6. We may need to get a moderator to help out by removing requests as they are completed, or deemed inappropriate.
  7. should you also want the same request that someone else has posted then press the “like” button.

Since the original message will drift off the top, everyone who makes a request should place this statement at the end of their request.

“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”

If everyone co-operates this could work. Maybe not. It’s worth a try.

2 Likes
  1. The option to toggle off snapping during point editing. :smiley:

So let it be done!

5 Likes

The ability to move spindle outside of carve section.

“This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.”

5 Likes

The ability to do V carving

9 Likes

The ability to create “FOLDERS” and rename them allong with “Sub-Folders”

This would prevent people from browsing through countless pages of projects to find what you need, and also keeps things much more organised.

16 Likes

If your cutting a lot of pieces the ability to “nest” their cutlines to reduce carve time and the amount of wasted material.

8 Likes

Create a Windows application.

I could then use Easel on any computer at any time and access my files that I have saved on my own drives.

5 Likes

turn off the question did everything go well at the end of the carve, and other training wheel features

12 Likes

A follow up to @JeremySimmons idea

Have a setup guide that asks if you are a beginner or advanced user. That way the training wheel options are still there for the beginners and the advanced users can have more advanced options and less guidelines.

This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.

9 Likes

Access the probe settings without having to redo the machine setup.

8 Likes
  • Option to jog the machine on all screens, not only in the carve screen.

• Option to distribute objects as well along with the already available alignment tool (spacing and all).

This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread.

11 Likes
  • Open the project “Fit to screen” so we don’t have to zoom in or out to see project.
  • Have the Control key with the scroll button zoom in or out
  • I’m sure this is already on the docket but display X,Y coordinates on each custom shape points when they are selected.
  • Don’t make it too complicated it’s power is it’s simplicity
3 Likes

-Live jogging with a toolpath preview (particularly I’m concerned with Gcode imports).

Often I’m using an oddly shaped piece of scrap, and I need to job around the toolpaths to see that my milling will fit. Also to make sure I’ll be clear of any hold-downs.

-The safe height must be saved. The default doesn’t clear the supplied Xcarve clamps.

-Soft limits should be enabled by default during machine setup. This is designed to be a beginner machine after all.

2 Likes

The ability to toggle off travel path lines (red) in the simulated view. Similar to turning off the material.

I would like to see drilling operations added to Easel.

This is a list thread. Before you post please read the guidelines at the top of the thread

5 Likes

Live jogging anytime you are not actually carving. (helps with job set-up and tool changes)
“Stay clear” zones for clamping locations. They could be like the circle, square, star primitives in the cad section of easel. They could be selected, sized and placed wherever your clamps are going to be.

6 Likes

The ability to group and ungroup shapes instead of combine and then explode.

4 Likes

The ability to add a “Notes” section to a project. For example, I have a project that is carved with a “green” mill bit, IE one that sends the debris downwards. There is no option to select such a bit, and so I select the “blue” one that has the same diameter. Sometime I forget and mount a ‘blue’ bit when re-carving this project with disastrous results.

Another project has me mounting the piece to the waste board in a non-conventional way.

I think a notes section could be a good way to remind one of anything special or unusual about that project.

2 Likes

SVG export from Easel.

4 Likes

I would like to be able to draw something like this select it and click something to have it resized to be able to work with a certain sized bit.