Easel Local for Linux?

So what you say is that once I have easel displayed in my browser I don’t need an internet connection to run easel.

that is correct. Easel Local sends the G-Code to the X-Controller through the Easel program to do this you do not need the internet. you will need the internet to launch Easel initially and load the file that you created but once loaded you can disconnect from the internet and continue to cut. Some have mentioned that they do this in extreme situations (no internet in shop) but if at all possible I would leave the connection on.

1 Like

Nope. I wouldn’t say that. it tries to save the file as you design. no connection, no saving.

test your scenario… best way to determine if it will work. official inventables line has always been Easel requires internet.

Good to know. I do have internet in the shop, just was curious what will happen during an outage.

Still think an approach like CNCjs works best when working remotely.

try all of them and see which one works best for your particular situation. that is the nice thing about options.

3 Likes

Hi.

I installed the linux driver and it works great!

Does anyone has a solution to auto start the driver on boot?

1 Like

Great! I just upgraded it tonight to also support uploading firmware on Linux through Easel as well.

You can start it on boot by running:
(crontab -l ; echo “@reboot cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -dmS easel node iris.js”) | crontab

This will add it to crontab, and it can run as a regular user. Please note you need the ‘cd’ to go to the path where iris.js is – I’m just assuming you set everything up in your home dir, so it should be in ~/easel-driver which is created by my setup script.

1 Like

Thanks to your script, Sammy. I am able to get it to work on my RPi 3.

In Pi, I am able to go to easel.inventables.com, login, open my project, connect to x-carve and also carve it.

Only thing that’s not working is the simulation part. Do I need to enable anything?

Thanks,
Viru

Great! I don’t think simulation has anything to do with the machine, though I don’t have an X-carve to test if X-carve specific. Can anyone else with an X-carve confirm this is working or not working? It’s currently working for me.

Hi Samy,

Which browser do you use on RPi? I tried on the default Chromium Browser.

I don’t use the RPi directly, I use Chrome on macOS to access easel, but I run the easel driver on a Pi so I can access it “remotely” (over wifi rather than USB).

this is a webGL problem, you need to enable the 3D video driver in your Raspberry Pi settings and then enable webGL in your browser. I have a 24 inch Vizio that has a weird screen resolution so my webGL is flunky and flaky at best.

I too want to access it from wifi. The way I did is:

x-carve’s arduino is connected to Pi via USB.
pi is connected to my wifi.
on pi, started vncserver.

I access pi using vnc client from my laptop (over wifi).
started browser, opened easel projetc.

Thanks.

Thanks. Will try this today.

is your laptop also running Linux? if yes then you can use X-carve server to connect and no need to use vncserver (which is a resource hog) and your remote Linux machine will treat your controller as if it was plugged in on that machine. I do this all the time when I want to design on my main system and then send it directly to the controller.

here is the link to control your x-carve over wireless from a remote machine. I use @SamyKamkar Easel Local as it works best for me and then I use the proxy server from the write up to run it over the network.

1 Like

I use Windows laptop. Still very new to this. Just finished my assembly of my very first cnc and tried with laptop.

I didnt want to keep my laptop connected to x-carve. So, searching for easel on pi got me to this topic. Still need to understand all the things available for easel, like easel local, x-carve server.

Thanks.

I have never tried this on a windows machine (Linux guy if at all possible) but the tutorial states that the proxy works on a windows machine you just need to select any port when turning it on.

Windows only: You will need to enter a fake COM port when Easel prompts you to enter one. Any number will do here since the Arduino is connected to the Raspberry Pi.

it worth checking out as this is very easy way to control your x-carve without having to use any extra resources. I always hated the way vnc-server screen acts when I connect and control a remote machine.

Thanks for the info. Will try two things:

1. Connect monitor, keyboard & mouse to Pi. Enable 3d video driver, if need be. Access easel from browser, open a project and carve.

2. Try the node js based proxy.

I prefer #1 as this frees up my laptop for carving part.

I am guessing in option #2, my laptop would be held up until the carving is finished.

Thanks.

I use a Vizio 24 inch HDMI TV on the Raspberry Pi3 connected to the X-Controller this works very well, I use Easel with Easel Local to carve at the RaspPi and also UGS and Bcnc at the RaspPi. I also use my main system which is much more powerful and better screen resolution when I need to over the network but that is not very often, more often than not I design on my main system then when I get time I go out to the garage and open easel on the RaspPi open the file and cut. But it is nice to have all the options when and as I need.

Edit: I also use a wireless keypad like this one on the RaspPi as it allows me to stand over the material when I jog the machine and I find this to much better than from where the monitor is.