Easel Pro Opens The Door For Mac Users

Since none of the Vectric software products are available for Mac users, carving with v bits was no go. Sure I could use Bootcamp or Parallels, but I would feel ashamed running Windows on my Mac and I dont’ want to spend the money for Windows and VCarve. I just finished setting up an inlay design in Easel Pro and it looks like my carving time for a will drop from 12h 28m to 1h 46m. That right there is worth the price of admission. Also, I can see in a high-resolution preview of the finished carve, which allows me to compare the results between different angle bits. Nice. I know VCarve Pro and Desktop have a lot of additional features, but I HATE paying for bells and whistles I’ll never use. Plus, I can’t help but think some of those capabilities will eventually find their way into Easel Pro. Now I just have to wait for my engraving bits to get here so I can see if Easel Pro is going to live up to its promise. I will report back.

6 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, as always!

1 Like

@ChrisMonck

hey Chris that is very interesting post to me

would you mind sharing on how exactly it cut your time down verse Easel free I would love to hear your input on your time shavings and a comparison between the two

thanks a bunch

1 Like

Using a 1/32" upcut bit, a 20 ipm feedrate and a DOC of .01" (that’s as fast as I can run without breaking the bit) it was going to take me 12h 28m. In comparison, a 30° engraving bit with the recommended cut settings of 32 ipm feedrate and a DOC of .04" reduced the carve time to 1h 46m. I haven’t done the carve yet, but as soon as my bit arrives, I’ll do the cut and report back.

1 Like

okay to your points there

wouldnt it be just as fast or faster if you roughed out your part with a larger endmill first and then went back with the smaller tool to clean up the detail?

1 Like

If I rough with a 1/8" bit (80 ipm, .04" DOC) and finish with a 1/32" bit (30 ipm, .015" DOC) it would take 2h 41m. So almost an hour longer.

1 Like

would you mind sharing the file?

1 Like

I can’t share the project because the design is for a customer. I will say that it is 10.5" wide, 12" tall and will be cut .1" deep into a 14" X 20" x .25" walnut board. The art is a tribal reptile design. BTW, when I stated the roughing pass I upped the feedrate to 80ipm which works fine for me. However, I went with the recommended cut settings for the finishing bit and those speeds I know will break the bit. If I go with speeds that I know will work (20ipm, .01 DOC), it would take 5h 24m to cut.

1 Like

yeah I see what you mean I just know that there are faster ways to carve it but without seeing the file I can’t tell

no worries on that I completely understand if its your customers design I would not share it

so without that I really cant say anything further

1 Like

Wait, did you do a prismatic inlay? B/c flat inlays are available in the Easel free version. Or did you mean you finished setting up a v-carved design?

(I’m with you otherwise, I have a Mac and am stoked for vcarving.)

I created an original design in Adobe Illustrator and brought it into Easel. Originally I had planned to do it as a flat, 2D carve, but when I realized Easel Pro allows for v-bit carving, I decided to go that route since it cut the carve time dramatically.

Ah, okay. My understanding is that what you are talking about is just a v-carved design.

V-carve inlay is different, and I really, really hope Easel is updated to include the inlay process in the video below. (Please correct me if I’m wrong and this is what you did.)

1 Like

That is exactly what I did. I created two .svg files, one is set up to be carved into the wood and the other is a mirror of the first and is to be carved out of the wood.

Huh. I tried to do that as well using Easel Pro and it didn’t work… do you have any resource on how to do that? I don’t have Adobe Illustrator. I usually use Inkscape.

I vcarved my file and then inverted the cut and carved around it, but the reverse didn’t come to a true point…

You are exactly right. It didn’t work for me either. I thought if I offset the outline I could get it to work, but it doesn’t. For my current project, I plan to cut the inlay with a 30° v bit, fill with color tinted paste and sand level.

1 Like

Did you try the inlay app?

No, because someone mentioned it wasn’t updated for prismatic inlay via vcarving like in that Fengrave video. Correct me if I’m wrong?

Ex. I used the inlay app, set the bit size as small as it would go, generated the pieces, created the dark square, mirrored the inserting piece… but I can’t figure out the major for making the text of the inserting piece come to a point AND have the space around it be carved out AND create a gap an additional gap so I can insert that piece into the vcarved piece to be glued and then sawn.

I’ll check with the team next week. I don’t think I understand but I saw some inlays people did around the office.

F-Engrave and Fusion360 will do prismatic/v-carve inlay if you are determined to only use a Mac.

F-engrave is horrendous to try to use on a Mac. Trust I have spent hours and hours attempting to get it to work the same as on a Windows machine. (I really, really don’t want to buy another computer for this at this point as a hobbyist.)

Any tutorials on prismatic for Fusion? I haven’t found a good one yet.