Engraving problem

Thats what I was thinking at first as well so on those little circles I test cut I played with the angle settings for the bit. I tried as large as 120 degrees before it finally started to leave the center of the circle at surface height. it still wasn’t correct though. and if I kept that setting it would have surely messed up any multiple pass cuts later with the 90 degree bit. because it would be thinking it is a different angle than it really is… I even checked my bit with an engineer’s square, and it is at 90 degrees

this is the preview I get with a new V-Carve toolpath…is it the same?

that looks the same as what I have to me

unrelated but your preview looks so much sharper than mine… I think I need to change that setting too

ok…I’ll give it a shot and post my results…only have the default bits on this computer…I can’t check it against my actual bits here…I’ll post a pic in the morning. I am off work and I can play a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks again

One more thing…is your zero set properly? Could it be slightly below the surface? That would also cause this.

The border looks too deep as well…

I was thinking about that… I use my Z probe to set zero… I am thinking I should set it manually next time to see if that fixes it.

maybe my probe isn’t accurate

How are you zeroing? Did you accurately measure the probe and enter the height?

so, I use vcarve to generate the gcode, but then I use easel to post it to the machine. so I use easel’s menu for using the probe. I haven’t seen a spot to enter the hieght of the probe itself. I had assumed it is standard, because it is the probe I bought with the machine through inventables…

is there a way to post to the machine directly through vcarve?

You need to measure the height of the probe exactly and enter that height when you setup the machine with easel. I don’t use easel, but I understand it is fairly straightforward.

You have to go through the easel setup to enter the probe height.

That is the problem with the carve, no doubt.

what do you use to post to the machine?

I changed out my electronics and I use Mach 3.

is that a lot better?

Hey Zach …

Check this link…

1 Like

I used the standard G-Shield (the predecessor to the X-Controller) for about a year and it worked great, but I added a rotary axis and grbl does not support that so I really had to go with something different.

The X-Controller/grbl combination is a great package and will do a really good job.

Mine was also pretty pricey…

Thanks Ron, I never noticed that advanced setting there before I’m going to bump that against the actual thickness

1 Like

I have been looking at the rotary axis option too… I was curious what would need to be done for that. I’ll have to look up that Mach 3