Estlcam machine controller

edit. found my answer. reading helps

I found the issue being when i clip one end of the circuit to the router whilst plugged in(but not on obviously), it causes the issue, so to solve, i just don’t have any power to the router at all until I am zeroed.

One question can you explain the differences between reference tool and measure tool?

Before you start machining you use “reference tool” for the first tool, then “measure tool” after each tool change.

some people mentioned that Estlcam takes several minutes to load large CNC files.
I’ve found the issue and uploaded an update: www.estlcam.com (Version 8.212)
It should now be able to load even very large files within a few seconds.

1 Like

I have a wired Problem with Estlcam USB controller. The patterns Estlcam carve to small. When I want to carve a 50mmx50mm sqaure, Estlcam carves a square with roughly 40x40mm.
The generatet G-Code from Estlcam ist fine. I can send it UGS and my X-Carve works fine with a 50x50mm sqaure.
My Setup is:

• Arduino GRBL PWM
    All axis same values:
  • Steps per revolution: 1600
  • Travel per revoluztion: 40mm
  • max feed reate: 5000mm/min

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BG Michael

Hi,

I think for the X-Carve it is 36mm for X and Y (Z has other values depending on the thread used).

Christian

sorry for my late replay.

Christian, can you explain how the 36 are calculated for X and Y?

If have Nema17 motors on my X-Carve with the Pulley 26054-01
It has 20 Teeth.
Further more the X-Carve uses the GT2 belt with 2mm Pitch 26053-01

So 2x20 = 40?

Thank for your help!

BG Michael

For the 20 teeth pulley 40mm would be theoretically correct.
What’s the configuration you’ve used for UGS?

By the way: there is a new update resolving a glitch which caused small dents in some toolpaths.

to be honest, I didn’t do any custom settings in UGS :slightly_smiling:

You can solve it this way:

Let’s assume you’ve set 1600 steps / rev and 40mm distance / rev at the moment:

• First let’s check the steps / rev setting…
  • Enter “X40” in the controllers command line (see below) and see how far the motor turns…
  • It should turn exactly one revolution - not more - not less…
  • If it is more than one revolution the setting is too high, if it is less than one the setting ist too low (typical values are 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200)…
  • Once steps / rev is correct check the distance / rev setting…
  • Place a ruler under the tool, enter “X100” and see how far the machine actually traveled…
  • The correct setting for steps / rev will be old steps per revolution * (distance traveled / distance entered)
  • Example: You entered X100, the machine traveled 80mm and the old distance / rev setting is 40mm you get 40*(80/100) = 32mm per revolution.

1 Like

Hi!
Just been testing Estlcam with my X-carve, must say it looks very promising - might start using this also to control my my machine!

I have however not tuned it yet, but getting close on
X Y Z
1600 1600 3600
40 40 20

If somebody tries this out an tune it (for an X-carve with ACME z-screw) I would love if you share your results here - will do the same myself.

Estlcam is a fantastic package for the price with possibilities that Easel is not even close to deliver - however it is not a CAD.

Great job @ChristianKnull - hope you will continue to expand the functionality of the software. Would love to have a “what’s up” section to know what we can expect in future releases.

Brgds
Christian

1 Like

Yep. Loving Estlcam. I haven’t done a full switch for using it as a machine controller, but I’ve run a lot of jobs with it already.

Okey I have fine tuned Z with Estlcam - Steps per rev 3600 - distance per rev 19…it is spot on with ACME lead screw.

I find 1600/40 to be perfect on X and Y - Arduino is set up with 8x microstep.
When it comes to max feedrate I am running 2000mm/sec on X and Y and 1000mm/sec on Z…maybe abit conservative?

The cool thing is that it is so fast to switch from Estlcam to Easel - since Estlcam has a restore function it makes it a Easel/grbl machine in 3-4 seconds :smiley:

Now it is time to do some 3D carving!

Brgds
Christian

Thank you Christian for your support.
I did a reset on ESTLCAM and startet again.
My Settings are:
X: 1600 / 40mm / max. feedrate: 4000mm/min
Y: 1600 / 40mm / 4000 mm/min
Z: 1600 / 5mm / 1000 mm/min with a M8 threaded rod from my local hardware store

This setting work fine for me! :+1:

I am still not sure about the maximum feed rates. Any suggestions on that?

BG Michael

I can’t remember my values, but the easy way to set them is to say start at 8000, then use the controller to move the axis at the fastest. Chances are it will stall. Lower the value and try again. I would drop down by 1000, until it works fine, then up by 500. I think I was able to do about 5000 for X and Y and 750 for Z

Finding reliable feed and acceleration settings is explained here from 2:43 to 4:33:

• Basically you start at a low feedrate, apply the change and see what happens if you move the axis at full speed by clicking the corresponding arrow in the controller window at its maximum speed position.
  • If it works well increase the value and try again…
  • If the axis stalls go back to the last working value and further decrease it by a 20-30% safety margin. This is important otherwise your machine will not be reliable because any minor issue may cause step losses.

If you want even better settings make a series of tests also with different acceleration distances:

• Change the acceleration value, repeat the above test and note the final feed rate settings.
  • You’ll notice that fast acceleration (low acceleration distance values) limits the achievable feed rate.
  • If you plot it as a X / Y diagram you’ll also notice an area where further increasing acceleration distance won’t improve speed anymore.
  • Finally you have to find a compromise between feed and acceleration - I usually prefer a setting where the machine achieves about 80% of its maximum speed to avoid compromising acceleration too much.
  • For things like picture engravings where you have thousands of short moves with constant accelerations I optimize for extreme acceleration settings as the machine won’t reach maximum feeds at the short distances anyway. This can cut machining times down to a fraction of the time you’d need with a more traditional setting.
1 Like

I just added a auto leveling / surface scan feature with version 8.301:

It allows to engrave curved surfaces or compensate uneven machine beds - e.g. for PCB milling.

3 Likes

@ChristianKnull this new mapping feature has me sold on your software. My only hesitation is this: I’ve upgraded to the Xcontroller. Without the Arduino/Gshield configuration that was originally shipped, will Estlcam still work with the new hardware?

Not sure if it was there before, but I just noticed the Update Drawing command. Very cool.

I don’t know too much about the X-Controller - but as it runs GRBL it should be compatible unless there are some fancy modifications to the hardware or bootloader.
If someone gives it a try please let me know.

1 Like