Extra LEDs on Dewalt 611

So the LEDs on the 611 are great, however they only work when it is turned on.

With the addition of my dust shoe it makes it dark when I’m lowering my bit to the work surface. I kept finding myself using my phone as a flashlight so that I could see the bit and work surface.

So I designed a LED ring that attaches to the bottom of the Dewalt 611.

I’m powering the LEDs from the 24v on the power supply.

15 Likes

That is gorgeous. I assume you milled out the board on the x carve as well?

Thanks! Yes I did use my Xcarve to make it. It works great for making PCBs.

1 Like

Pity there are no screws in the bottom of the Makita router to do the same thing.

I’m sure that you could use double sided tape.

Hot glue to attach?

The first pic looks like the mother ship is coming in for a landing…

Nope I used the mounting screws for the collet lock to attach it with.

Lol that’s true it does look like that. :alien:

This is fantastic. Very nicely done. Do you plan to share the design files?

Thanks! Sure I can share the files. They are Aspire files.

LED Ring.crv3d (2.0 MB)

Much appreciated, though I don’t have Aspire. Do you know of a way to convert it to svg or another open source format? No big deal if it’s a hassle. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

No problem! Here you go.

2 Likes

Might consider sealing that before you mill metal. The shavings have a tendency to cake up, even with forced air chip evacuation aimed at the surface.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I hadn’t thought about that as I haven’t cut any metal yet. I will do that.

Love this project - I get to learn to mill PCBs and get a lighting improvement - thanks for sharing!

For those that have never done PCBs, can you share more info about the bit / settings you used?

Thanks! I used a 0.3mm 60° vbit to do the circuit etching. I set the depth to 0.3mm as well. Then I used a 1mm end mill to cut out the mounting holes and the final profile of the PCB board. I used double sided tape to hold down the PCB while it is being cut.

I’m also working on a switch so that I can have the power supply turned on but have the gShield/Arduino turned off. This will allow you to manually adjust for zero.

I would be willing to make them for anyone that is interested for say $30.

2 Likes

Thanks for the details, I’m excited to try it!

No problem! Let me know how it turns out.

Clear nail polish will work fairly well for sealing. However, even though it’s designed not to chip, this is not a condition that was tested for ;). So you might want to put something a bit thicker at least on the traces, like hot glue.

But, do let us know if you find something that works better.

Yes that would work. I was thinking of some rtv. Haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet. Working on my switch board.

I have gotten my “break out” switch finished and installed. Now I can have the power supply on, with my LEDs on, and manually set my zero.

1 Like