First 3D carve on my X-carve

So after receiving my replacement spindle today (A+ for overnight D- for not including a the wrench since the size seemed to change on the spindle collet.) I’m back up and running. Today I decided to try a 3D model of myself I scanned. All and all very happy with the results being I used cheap insulation styrofoam from Lowes. I can only imagine what that high density stuff Inventables sells would look like (I’ll have to wait till they start doing more contests, that stuffs pricey… Hint Hint @Zach_Kaplan :smile: ) and I was using a 1/8 ball end, really need to get a 1/16 or 1/32 ball end to do it right.

It was my first venture using UGS and now I see why it’s so important to get my homing working (been through so many switches. When I have some extra funds and time, I’ll replace the wiring.

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t know, looking at that carving, looking at your avatar, I’m not sure the high density foam would help, I think maybe the problem is that you’re just a blurry guy :wink:

That’s really cool, on my extended backlist is a project to use one of those modified Kinect cameras and make a handheld scanner, I’m impressed you got this from an 1/8" bit!

1 Like

Yeah i’m a pretty blurry guy :slight_smile: but really need to take better pics, it came out much nicer that it looks

1 Like

Looks nice, how did you convert that picture to 3D art.

I used photogrammetry (a type of 3D scanning) to make the initial image, then cleaned it up in Zbrush and exported it to a .stl then I downloa a trial of meshcam imported it and let it do its thing

1 Like

I understand,…not. :slight_smile: looks like language from another planet to me.

1 Like

@AlanDavis, LOL The 3D design side I know. The CNC just learning, added a better photo up top (Well a little better)

1 Like

I’m kitting Brian, Just tired of sitting in front of monitor. Sometimes I feel like my face is rectangle. Not enough passions anymore. Ready to retire.

Do you have a video or tutorial available on how to do that scanning and conversion? I’m interested in doing something like this, but most of that was some sort or elvish… :smile:

@RobertA_Rieke The scanning and 3d modeling takes a lot of learning and a ton of practice. I don’t have a video, but the best place to start on the photogrammetry scanning side would probably be to head over to http://www.123dapp.com/catch. It’s a great program for beginners and it’s free, then when you get the hang of it, head over to http://www.agisoft.com they have the best software and forums for help on the subject. As far as converting, download a trial of Meshcam and go through there tutorials; it’s a real easy program to get the hang of, I had a harder time learning to work with universal Gcode sender, hoping Easel gets 2 1/2D soon.

1 Like

Just got my hands on some samples of the Precision Board Plus 40 and 20. Been having a little bit of issues with the 40, I need to play around with my rate settings. But here is the results on the 20. Notice the size and remember i’m using a 1/8 in ball end, still waiting on my 1/16 and 1/32 bits to be delivered. @Zach_Kaplan This machine has loads of possibilities and capabilities, I’m truly impressed! Not to mention this is the stock spindle. With a little practice and learning the results might match the results of my 3D printers in half the time.

1 Like

Hey Brian, this turned out great! Any chance you’d be interested in sharing your process in a project on Inventables so that others could try out your techniques?

What did you use to capture the 3D scan? I have been playing with Autodesk’s 123d Catch but haven’t gotten to explore the “finishing” side of it.

@MichaelUna thank’s for the reply. As far as making a video, I’ve been getting a lot of requests on multiple projects I’ve done to film them; but at this time the only device I have to do so is my iPhone 4s :smile: and it takes really lousy video. At some point I hope to be able to spring for a Gopro. Also my trial of Meshcam is just about up, that’s another $250-, not to mention the cost of the precision board is pricey. Once I get some extra cash, I’ll start getting some of the aforementioned items and try to put something together. Right now everything I’ve been making has been on samples and trials. But I think learning Meshcam is the way to go, does so much, such a powerful program. When you download the trial (fully functional) they also email tutorials that teach you a lot.

Oh I use Agisoft Photoscan, there both good programs but Agisoft has a lot more settings once you learn to use them and a great forum with industry leaders