GRBL Software Suggestions?

@NeilFerreri1 I don’t see a jog mm/min value in my version.
@SethCNC Feedrate does seem 0, but how do I set it? It also remains zero after loading a test g-code file:

The Home All button is disabled but when I click the Check Size button the head does move - all the way to the right and then runs into the X limit switch.

Apparently there is something I’m missing which is not configured right.

Maybe it pulls it from your loaded job?
Can you share the gcode file?

1 Like

Hmm, I’ve not updated to 1.0.344 i will now to see if the feed is messed up within that version somehow.

I see a new button labeled “light mode” maybe enable and disable that to see if the feedrate comes back?

that new feature, white screen to dark screen toggle

Right, light/dark mode only refers to the color scheme.
I don’t think it has to do with g-code, I had none loaded and had the same issue.

2 Likes

that’s correct, connect your machine and load a g-Code then you will have some option.

happy carven

hah, I thought is was like a “lite” version of the software with less options showing in screen LMAO

2 Likes

Ummm,… I guess i had updated recently to 1.0.336 and I can jog but there’s no method to adjust the feed rate… whats odd is that if i use the computer to jog it does X,Y at 2,000mm/min and Z at 500 mm/min… BUT if I jog with my phone it does 4,000 for x,y and 2,000 for Z… and there’s a slider on my phone and it doesn’t do a thing either.
tried probing and that works, it probes at 100mm/min

I’m about to write an email and try to figure out what they did and why they would do this… and if they plan to fix it…

Apparently the Jog % slider is the jog feedrate slier, BUT you must know your machine’s MAX feedrate and that is the 100% default jog speed… and do the math yourself to determine what the numerical value is after applying the slider percentage setting…

As to why your probe is failing. mine probes fine using every option, other than the openbuilds XYZ probe… so I’m not positive why yours i faulting there… I do see your $5 and $6 are set to 1 when mine are both set to 0’s Maybe $6 needs to be 0??

Have you tried switching over to Z probe and using that only? do you actually have an X,Y,Z probe? (not many 3018 owners do so I just want to confirm.)
& can you show what appears in the gcode area when you try to probe and then the probe fails… like the last 10 lines of gcode

To be clear: I don’t have a XYZ probe but the stock Z probe and I can probe without problems. I just can’t jog, also not when I move the jog slider to other settings.
I compared the $5 and $6 settings with Candle and they are also 1 and Candle works without issues.

And I have the same issue with or without g-code loaded.
If I run g-code the head moves without problems.

I notice your Feed value also is 0 mm/min in the printscreen, like mine.
I thought maybe that was the issue but apparently not.
And I don’t see where I could change the feed rate in OB.

What are your $110-$112 settings if you check on the GRBL Settings tab at the top of Control?
I’d think it would just pull from your rapid feedrate for jog commands.

I posted all settings above, they are:

$110=2000.000 (x axis max rata:mm/min) ;X-axis maximum rate, mm/min
$111=2000.000 (y axis max rata:mm/min) ;Y-axis maximum rate, mm/min
$112=2000.000 (z axis max rata:mm/min) ;Z-axis maximum rate, mm/min

I saw that, but did you check in Control? I just tried on a bare Arduino and those settings are where it’s pulling from. It should be the data on your machine controller, but I wonder if there’s a disconnect between the two.

@NeilFerreri1 Ah, that’s what you mean. The settings are identical.

My final suggestion would be to do a fresh install of Control…then, if @SethCNC doesn’t have an idea, I’d ask at the openbuilds forum.

Neil: thanks, I already tried reinstalling. I think I’ll give another PC a try and post on the OB forum.
Otherwise maybe give it a try again in the future and stick to Easel (or Candle) for now.

I use gSender. It’s a newer one, based on CNCjs. It is becoming a popular choice.

Oddly, I’m also having a problem with gSender: I can connect with the button on the top left but then it stalls at the message ‘Connecting’ with all controls disabled:

But no problems with Easel, Candle, Octoprint, flashing Arduino’s, ESPs, etc.

:confused:

Eric,

Not sure if this will work at all but I had this problem this past weekend. I powered down the machine, unplugged the spindle from the control box, plugged it back in, powered it back on, and it started connecting and working with g-sender again. It’s worth a try I suppose?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! Go figure: when I first start gSender and then power on the router, I can connect.
When it is powered on and then I start gSender, it doesn’t connect.

The trick doesn’t make OpenBuilds jogging work, however.
But I can try out gSender now.

Eric