Greats shoe store in Venice California

haha nice. Well next time I am down that way…

We need project pictures with those props and scenery!

I messaged Ben and asked him if he considered the nested approach outlined by @AndrewPetzold. He said he did but it takes too long and the material is cheaper than bits. He tried it on the first one and it increased cutting time by about 75%. The material is $30 a sheet. The reason the nesting option didn’t work was more lines to cut = more machine time. Also he gets less surface to screw the layers together requires more clamping to get a good lamination. With full sheets he didn’t have to clamp, he just held them down and screwed them in. He sacrificed $15 of material to save probably about 4-8 hours per pedestal.

Time was money.

He said it would make sense for hardwood or baltic birch but for the plywood he used it doesn’t make sense unless apparently he lives in @AngusMcleod’s neighborhood.

2 Likes

I don’t know… I think the only Endorsement I didn’t see what for the beverage he was drinking ha ha ha

Barbados is great. Spent some time down there a few years ago

He’s gotta pay the bills!

2 Likes

Not knocking it at all Zach… I totally get it! I use Ryobi stuff too. jk :wink:

Kidding aside. He has a great channel. I love it. Some totally awesome projects

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
this made me laugh!!!

1 Like

And apparently the future home to my new business called “Zach’s Plywood”.

5 Likes

Wowwwww. The radiata pine ply here is awesome(same stuff they used here at like 30 a sheet). It’s not quite birch but the ply count is high(13) and both sides are a cabinet grade finish. Nice veneered stuff like purebond is like 50-60 a sheet. I couldn’t imagine 99 a sheet for crap grade ply.

2 Likes

Who would of known it increase cut time and bit use. but how are there more lines…You would still have the same amount of profile cuts right? @Zach_Kaplan

I didn’t understand that part of it. Seems like the same geometry to me.

The part that did make sense was there is less surface area to join the parts and you don’t need clamps.

1 Like

This is the biggest reason I’d say. There would be little area for joining the peices. They hold shoes so it’s not like it wouldn’t be structural but it’s also added time to fit and calculate to make it efficient where just slapping them on till they fit is quick and easy. Extra material yes, saved time also yes.

The inset idea gave me a idea though. You could make some awesome hidden drawers in these things. I’m thinking of making a few of the shelves for my office actually!

Oh the things I could make with that much ply!

/patiently waits for @Zachs Ply with killer shipping rates/

1 Like

Yeah, I agree less surface area would make it harder.

@PhillipDanner Orders over $100 gets free shipping… haha

Lol…

I’m just saying. Low shipping cost material to the door would be awesome(in bigger pieces :wink: closer to the 1000mm footprint).

Sometimes I just need a 24x24 sheet and you see that its 70% of the cost of a full 48x96 sheet and you just can’t justify the small sheets at that price! Then you have to get them to cut it down etc.

OK I’m starting a separate thread on plywood. Let’s keep this one focused on the store.

@Zach_Kaplan We all have a little A.D.D in us.

He eliminated the inside cuts completely - used only all outside cuts.

Yea, I don’t think it would work as @AndrewPetzold drew it because the pieces don’t overlap.

OK everyone, I made a plywood discussion thread. I want to hear from you on this…