Help changing paths

I’m trying to set up this flag to carve. But I need the carve to opposite from what its showing. For example… I need the stars to be carved in not out. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve only been carving for a couple of weeks.

Can you share your file. It should be pretty simple. A matter of turning the square the stars are in to zero depth and taking the stars and giving them depth.

Yea, can I email you the file? I’m not sure how to share it on here.

File>Share> Share with link>Copy>Save and Paste

1 Like

Don’t forget to hit the save button after you copy the link :flushed::grinning:

1 Like

guys im illiterate I guess. this is the first time ive tried to do this. its acting like I cant do it in those steps. sorry, im working on it.

1 Like

:grin:

Where di you get the file? Did you draw it up or download it?

downloaded

I can not get it to seperate. Maybe Russell can get it he uses a different program.

1 Like

Wayne I appreciate you trying.

1 Like

We will see what he comes up with.

I put a square behind the flag and set the depth to .2 and set your flag depth to 0

Good Luck
Russell

2 Likes

thank you Russell, I will give a that a shot.

1 Like

Clever approach!

1 Like

Elaborating and adding to this, my understanding of this technique, that we use, would be to have a box around the group of stars (assuming the stars are all on a transparent background). Set that box to height zero, then set the stars to be at whatever cut depth you need. That makes the stars in-set and the surrounding area uncarved.

You’d probably need your various components to be different imported objects (as opposed to everything being one single image), and that way you can control the cut depth of everything individually.

1 Like

That is what i was thinking but after downloading and finding it was 1 solid object i was stumped. But Russell came up with an easy fix.

1 Like

I tried to break the SVG apart to separate the flag but wasn’t having much luck, wherever he got the SVG from it was locked. I have seen a few SVG’s like that before, very hard to break apart. Then I had the idea of making the flag white and add a background. I have worked with a few of those SVG’s before, I can get them apart but it takes some time.
Russell

1 Like

This is one that Phillip Lunsford shared awhile back, he has helped a lot of us on using the X-Carve