Help with multi layer vector files

I am having trouble with layered files. Wondering if someone could maybe share my screen and help me to understand how to take a file that I have uploaded that has multi-levels to carve on my Maslow. It is hard for me to explain everything but could show on my screen fairly fast.

1 Like

You can share the project link from easel by going to (in easel)
Project>Share and changing the type to Unlisted and coping that link. And paste it here

Maybe sharing the file will help further explain what your wanting to achieve :+1::+1:

texas deer paint

How do I get the outline to cut out and the rest to just carve?

You can use the Shape Explorer app

If you’re still having trouble you can share the easel project (see prior message) and I’ll show you using your project in a quick video. You can send the link as a private message if you prefer to not post it for all :man_shrugging:

Here is a design that you can start with, but I did not take any consideration into account for any limitations of the Maslow. Note that the cutout provided would leave a small edge around the entire piece where there are carves at the edge; this is intentional. The third workpiece is for viewing only hence the name “DO NOT CARVE - Final Approximate Piece (minus outside beveled edge)” …

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

What is shape explorer?

@SethCNC likely meant the Xploder app I am guessing…

I used the Offsetter app to generate the outline cutout in the design I posted.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

almost… i think XPolder is broken or something, about 2 moths ago it started acting weird. I meant the Shape Exploder, i thought that they wanted to split the design up and do some as pockets and others as cut outs… but looking at your file and re-reading the OP… i was probably wrong in that interpretation.

@DeborahPope
Here’s my take on what’s going on so far…

And with way too much talking…

Seth, I’m new to all this and this is probably a dumb question but when the bit is set to 60 what does that mean? Do I need to buy that bit? Trying to learn bits, etc.

Yes, you would need to have the correct angle bit ebteref as you have installed in the spindle for the toolpath to run properly.

You can purchase bits from inventables and use the pre-entered bits like that 60 degree one. Or you can purchase from other 3rd parties (Amazon even) and enter the bit specification manually and you can also save the bit settings to the toolbox for future use without having to reenter manually each time…

The point of my rambling there being that if you have a different angle bit, you can select or enter that angle, but don’t set it to 60 and then put a 90 or 45 or 30 into the cnc or the resulting carve will not come out identical to the preview… depending on the angle it will either overcut or undercut the design… and surely that’s not desired.

https://amzn.to/3Ao0fdq

Thank you! Im really not sure I explained everything correctly but all I was wanting to do is take that picture and be able to carve it and cut the outline. Then I’m going to epoxy it.

1 Like

Wish I could spend a few days in the shop with some of you guys. lol

1 Like

Hi Deborah,
The first one that @BrandonR_Parker did will do that, the first page would be to carve the state and deer, then the second page is cutting out the shape.
When doing cut outs is common to use multiple pages to get the effect that you’re looking for.

Sometimes its hard to imaging what someone else is wanting to do, if you’re still not understanding ask us more questions and after that…ask more questions.:slight_smile:
Russell

1 Like

I need to run to home depot and buy a 60 bit because I don’t have one. I’m assuming it is a 1/8, guess I’ll see when I go in a bit. Thank you!

1 Like

Do I have to get Pro to use? I can’t seem to resize or anything so thinking I might have to go ahead and purchase.

1 Like

You would need to have Pro to use V Bit toolpaths

1 Like

If you are using my file, you likely can not resize objects because I have “Pinned” them. Blue is pinned, and Gray is free to move.
Capture

You will need to go to Machine>General Settings and select the CheckBox that states “Enable Pinning Shapes” if the pin, as shown above, does not show up for you.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Brandon, I am using your file and I paid for Pro however it still does not show the Pin and I’m unable to resize it.

Did you enable pinning shapes as shown above? That is not enabled by default even in Pro I do believe. You need to enable that and then unpin the objects.

Brandon Parker