Holiday Ornament Template (Fast and easy gift idea)

A close friend of mine lost her mother a few years back. The cardinal has a very special meaning to her…

Sometimes its the small things in life…

2 Likes

Very nice work, what Easel font did you use on those? My grandmother was a cardinal lover and she died on her 93rd birthday. Every cardinal on my bird feeder reminds me of her.

Thanks, very nice.

Last minut Christmas gift.

5 Likes

I like the thickness. Makes a bold statement!

That’s what she said…

3 Likes

I’m working on this one for my son who is a huge 21 Pilots fan.

1 Like

When you folks are cutting these things out, do you load up on the tabs? I tried a quick MDF with a 1/16" bit and some of the waste material spun up the bit. I didn’t even think about tabs on the inside waste.

I don’t use Easel much so is there a way to insert a tab without increasing the number of them and sliding them around the work piece?

Thanks Robert, got bored watching the video and jumped right in. MDF might be too soft to stay together cuz I just destroyed mine.

I had some good success with .2" poplar (and some good fails).

I have gone almost entirely to using the tape and super glue method. I use the manila colored tape from Walmart (it sticks a little better than the blue tape). I do a LOT of small cuts making earrings for my wife’s business. It saves so much time and effort not having to try and sand small tabs in small openings. Lay one row of tape stuck down to your waste board…put a bead of super glue down the tape. Put a second piece of tape on the back of your project blank (located the same place as the mating piece on the waste board)…I spray some CA activator on that piece of tape…then press the two firmly together. I even used this method when I cut a chunk of 8/4 hard maple into a jewelry box for my wife. I have literally not pulled a clamp out for a project since I learned the tape method many months back when we all discussed it on another project thread.

So… homemade double-stick tape?

Shane where do you buy your CA activator?

I get mine at the local Woodcraft store…but I need to see if I can find it online cheaper…cause I go through a lot of it…

Essentially…but it is like putting the blue painters tape on something…very easy to get off…but holds just as good as the heavy duty double sided tape…depending on how much you use.

1 Like

Merry Christmas everyone from the west coast and great new year. Thank you for the template idea. Kasba

6 Likes

I love the hummingbird one!

1 Like

I used two sided tape (not the permanent kind) and loaded up the tabs. I moved them around to where I thought the best placement was. The first time I tried to cut this one pieces popped off and the whole things went crazy.

I just did my first ornament carve last night, using this template as a base. Thank you very much.

I used some old copper circuit board material I have been carrying around, posting to posting, for years. Finally came in handy.

I posted on instagram, and immediately got a couple of requests. I have no idea how much to charge for these.

3 Likes

Looks very cool!
What is the diameter?