Houston we have a problem! (intermittent spindle)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve been in communication with the manufacturer and they want all the spindles that have issues back for analysis. If you haven’t contacted help@ yet please do and they will send you a shipping label and a replacement spindle. Please do not open the spindles prior to returning them. To do a proper analysis you only get one chance at opening them and if you do it then the manufacturer can’t do it in their Q/A lab. The owner of the spindle manufacturer read this thread last night and wrote me back:

"Judging by the comments on the blog, e.g., tapping the motor to get it started, I would assume that one of the poles has a broken wire. That would explain the low power & low RPM feedback. "

He also said:

“Typically on motors that experience high vibrations, or run at >18,000 RPM, we recommend using an very hard epoxy called ‘neck glue’ around the hooks of the commutator. See attached photos. Because your application is a spindle and should not have that high of vibration we did not previously recommend it. If indeed the motor failed because of a broken wire at the commutator hook, then I would recommend we start adding this glue to future orders.”

Below is a picture with and without neck glue for reference.

For those having problems did the problems come up the first time or after repeat usage when serious vibration could have been introduced?