How about some additional font types?

Old English and Times New Roman fonts would be a great addition.

Since this thread is still going… I just bought a hosted website (GoDaddy) and their really easy to use website builder is able to read from the local font selection and use them. I’m wondering why they can do this, and something like Easel can’t?

I do appreciate the fairly new additions to the font selection, though. Thanks Inventables.

1 Like

Valid question! I have tons of fonts that I have used and that I have purchased. I do not understand why I am unable to use them in Easel.

That’s very cool Paul. What’s the chance you’d share that Lake Superior file? I live near the western tip of Lake Superior.

Here you go … it’s a long carve in oak but not so bad in pine. Good luck.

1 Like

I use Inkscape to create most of my jobs then import into Easel.

Inkscape allows me to use any of the fonts loaded on my system.

1 Like

Perfect instructions. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you my friend. It looks awesome.

I’d love to see what you come up with carving this. Send me a pm and I’ll send you a link to my site with some pics of the versions I’ve done (if you’d like). I’ve done a bunch of large oak (slabs), medium birch (slabs) and some smaller pine tests on dimensional lumber. Good luck on the carve.

by the way, I’m in Esko.

What are the odds? I’m just across the bridge in Superior

What did you use for bits on the rough pass and detail?

Hi Chris, what is it that goes into deciding how well the font carves?

The reason I’m asking is I’m currently working on an automated font building library of opensource fonts that it’s self will be opensource.
The idea behind it is that there will be a repo on github with fonts and builder script that anyone can contribute fonts or update the script. The builder script will build static html, static json files so that you can just point a web server at it. It will also allow you to set parameters for what gets built and what does not based on licence types and also programmatic analysis of the font.

I’m thinking that most of the issues with fonts carving is small details so if you combine an analysis of the fonts total volume with the complexity of the paths(AKA file size of an SVG) for example something with loads of small detail will likely have a smaller volume and a larger file size vs something with more defined detail which would have a larger volume and a smaller file size.

Any type of old english font would be great.

OCR B Would be much nicer than A

With easel being an online solution, if they where to add fonts they would have to be stored on the Web server. This would slow down the app and things would probably load allot slower nor to mention licensing issues and extra cost.

Not true. Adding of more fonts would only slow things down if the user was using every font in there project. Its simple to convert a font file to a png using imagemagick so they can have a preview. It would not bog things down and the font would only need to be loaded into the browser when the user wanted to use it.

The real issue is licensing however there are open source fonts but these will vary depending on the font as to what the creator wants in terms of credit.

The main slowdown in easel is that the openGL frame is redrawn very time you move something or move the page on the left.

BTW my day job is programming/ web apps.

script fonts

Please note that using locally installed fonts, then makes one vulnerable to problems in them — over on the other side of the house there’s been a rash of users complaining of text not getting CAM paths assigned and all of them have been traced to fonts which are incorrectly constructed so as to have the wrong path direction (clockwise, not counter-clockwise) for the characters in question. Easy fix, just use a tool which makes fixing them easy such as Macromedia Freehand, do it in Inkscape, or use a script in Adobe Illustrator, but annoying to have to deal with.

Yeah, because people are going to:

• set every character in a font so as to test it thoroughly
  • accept that this font installed on their computer won’t work w/ their machine

How did you get on with your lib. Geoff?