How can we make Easel easier for you?

This for me is a number one request.

@Brandon_Cullum i hope I have the correct person. Are you the person conducting the Easel Live? If so, could you pm me. I have an unrelated question that you may be able to help me with. Thanks

Add edit points and be able to break points so we can take one object and make it into two objects

1 Like

Make Easel available for Chrome. I bought an inexpensive Chromebook specifically for use in the garage so I wouldnā€™t have to take my good computer out there anymore, only to find out I couldnā€™t upload the drivers for Easel. This would be great for me!

I use an inventables CNC for my hobby.
The CNC is located at a different location than my home.
I have NO internet access at my home.
I would love to be able to do design work at home when being relaxed and creative and then travel to the machine location to do the actual physical work.
Is there any way to design on easel at home without an internet connection?
Thankyou!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to see a measuring tape built in, when Iā€™m freestyle designing itā€™s tough to get a perspective for the project

3 Likes

Dimension ability would be fantastic

1 Like

Nice to have more than just svg file import.

1 Like

i import Jpeg and PNG pics all the time.

One suggestion would be to embrace the open source world and stop trying to engineer the whole thing yourself. Take advantage of open source cad / cam programs or inkscape ā€“ where all you need to do is write how to generate the gcode properly. This would drive your development costs way down. You could also take advantage of open source gcode senders ā€“ bcnc, gocnc, cncjs, chilipepper are a few that Iā€™ve used. Maybe take a tool like gocnc, write a gui for it in qt. Lets face it easel is very good, but is it as good as something like Inkscape, FreeCAD?

Boards like Raspberry Pi have gotten a lot better ā€“ support drivers for Raspberry PI. I personally donā€™t want to run a full blown computer at my xcarve. I want something small, something thatā€™s only $50, that wonā€™t care if a ton of sawdust gets covered on it. I already use a modified version of Easelā€™s driver using Samy Kamkarā€™s code ā€“ it already works. But Iā€™m also a professional linux sysadmin so installing using Samyā€™s scripts etc isnā€™t difficult but for some who donā€™t knowā€¦ What Iā€™d like to see is an Inventables Raspberry PI distro that you just have to cut to an SD card. Put xrdp and you can remote in from your tablet, PC, MAC and control easel. I usually do the tablet option ā€“ I can take it with me anywhere in the house and see the progress of my cut.

You could make an app for Mac/Windows that allows you to run easel and send it to the PI. Samyā€™s instructions uses ncat ā€“ to a linux guy Iā€™m familiar with nc, but if you made that easier for the non-linux folks so that they can use easel on their machine of choice, and then that machine sends it to the PI, which then sends it to the xcarve. You could also embedded a raspberry pi, or PI Zero ($10) in a version of your xcontroller, or sell an xcontroller addon.

3 Likes

The ability to work off line would be good. AMEN! Come on guys, If enough of us let them know what a game changer that would be, maybe they can make it happen!

1 Like

In addition to text centering, importing other than .svg and working from a desktop and not cloud based software, it would also be great if there was an esc function so that when you select ā€œcarveā€ or simulate you could cancel the download. Sometimes when Iā€™m waiting for it to finish, I see something that I would like to change or add, but canā€™t because I have to wait for the program to finish. Would like to exit the process.

3 Likes

This has to be one of the most important upgrades they should do with easel. Doing a job now and struggling with this. A 3rd tool would take my job from 6 hours to an 1:30

I know itā€™s a work around. But you could setup 2 workpieces. One with large bit and middle bit then 2nd job with middle bit and small bitā€¦

Run large and mid from workpiece 1
Then small bit only from workpiece 2

It is easy to add a third tool or as many as needed. Set each toolpath on a different workpiece. Put the workpieces in cut order. In VCarve for example you can have as many toolpaths that is needed. It basically the same here only you are putting each toolpath on a different workpiece with the required bit.

Thank you. I also noticed if I cut out the part of the job using Ctrl-X and pasted it in the next work piece it keeps its coordinates. That way I was able to run the jobs in order and choose 3 different bits. Iā€™m learning as I am going. Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

One feature I would like to see is locking an object in place so I can add/move other pieces around without the original object being moved.

For example, letā€™s say I have a large square that part of my design. Now I need to add another objectā€¦letā€™s say a Tree design inside the square. If I need to move the Tree to another location inside the Square I often times end up selecting the Square (or both), which causes it to move. This happens to me all the time because I like to create my designs with the pen tool and sometimes I need to create multiple objects for one design. Having the option to lock one or more of my objects in place would be quite helpful.

I know a Layer design function like Photoshop, Affinity really work great. Iā€™m not sure if the Easel architecture can support a Layer functionality or allow for an Object to be locked in place, but it would help me out.

Hi Brett, try pinning the shape.

Youā€™ll have to enable this feature first:

Then select the element(s) you want to lock in place (aka PIN)ā€¦ then click this pin here and youā€™ll be unable to resize, move, or delete the element(s) until this pin box in un-ticked

2 Likes

OMG! Thanks so much SethCNC! Man, I wish I knew about this feature ages ago LOL! That is definitely one hard to find feature. You have officially made my life easier! Have a Great Christmas my friend :slight_smile: :blush:

2 Likes