How to wire 500 W Chinese spindle with its controller speed to the X-Controller

Hi guys Just wanted to add that the SSR Nabil showed in the picture above is usable for his application. The rating of 90 - 480 volts means that it is usable at 220 volts. It has a 10 ampere rating which is higher than the 6 amperes used by the power supply. The SSR does need to be mounted on metal to provide heat removal.

And thanks Stephen for the tutorial link for easel.
John

Hi John ā€¦ yes i have found a heat sink for this ssr in Aliexpress ā€¦

SSR will work but only for the PWS he needs to it to switch more than one thing. I am still working on it.

Sorry its been a week. I have been ill and not able to work on the project.
Today I am will start up again.
I will be working on the circuit you need to control the PSU.

Hope to be fine now ā€¦ donā€™t worry ā€¦ take your time ā€¦

Yea I just need to do some testing as I build. Not to mention programming the MCU.
I will have it going soon.
Thanks

Do you have to change Ele power cord to run the Xcontroller and 500W spindle controller to hook them both to gather to same power source. THankā€™s Harley

No
The 500w spindle needs to be hooked up to a separate power from the X-Controller.

the input power that goes to the wall you can plug into one surge strip. US is 120v, Other is 220v

UGH I lost this thread. Couldnā€™t find it.
Anyway I have not forgotten about this.
If you already have found a solution I will still work on figuring out how to do this. (its a challenge)
Sorry for not continue this work here. I have been very busy moving and life stuffs.

1 Like

Does anyone have some pictures on how to attach the grounding wire to the power supply, potentiometer and motor ???

I can not find anything specific on the net.

Lucian

Do you have some info regarding the grounding wire ???

Which Grounding Wire?

The MAINS Ground? or a ground for the 0-10v control signal from the X-Controller?

Which PSU/Motor controller do you have? The one with separate 0-10v input, or only the 3 screw potentiometer?

If you ask a question in an almost 1 year old thread, you need to provide some context to what you are asking.

I hope I can ask a question related to this thread.

I have the same PS but the one I have will run on 110V from the mains. I have the PS connected to the PWM controller that Inventables sells. I have the PWM controller connected to my tinyG the correct way (GND and PWM) to the input PWM connectors of the controller. I also have the controller pins aligned so that it ignores the onboard POT of the controller. So far so good right.

My issue is that my PS will go into overload protection mode (green light inside PS switches to red) and there is 0VDC output from the PS. This happens whenever I issue a ā€œhigherā€ speed command from the start. If I ramp up my speed control letā€™s say from 6000RPM initially there are no issues.

I assume I am hitting some sort of current spike beyond the rated 6amp which is resulting in overload protection kicking in.

Maybe there is something else going on. I have the 500W spindle motor and 0-100V power supply from Banggood.com .

500W Spindle and 100VDC Power Supply Combo

I know this is an older thread, but its the only place where I found the HX-SXPWM controller mentioned, and I need some help with wiring mine. I got a HX SXPWM A Pulse Width DC Motor Speed Controller Digital AC180V 260V DC180V, and I need to connect it to a 3 wire DC motoro (180V 3A) and with my BOB (no identification on it that I can provide, other than a picture - but from what I know, it only should be wired with 0-10V output). I should be able to control the power up and shutdown of a motor through Mach3 and also to change directions.

Now, I know this is a job for experienced electrician, but any one I can find dont want to mess with this, so I have to get some help in alternative ways and do it myself with proper guidelines.
Thanks in advance

motor specs (3 wire type including ground)

and

sorry for 3 posts, but since I am a new member I have 1 pic per post limit

I have the same spindle/power supply as the OP does, and hereā€™s how I Iā€™m controlling it using PWM: Controlling a Chinese spindle power supply with PWM ā€“ The Desktop Machinist. Sorry about the bad quality write-up, I was in a hurry when I did it (quite a while after actually doing this), and havenā€™t had time to clean it up yet.

The short story is that I did some analysis of the circuit itself, and then ultimately ended up using an optocoupler together with a 4.7k (same value as your potentiometer) resistor to control it.

Iā€™ve got a few more posts coming about my custom grbl board, which also leverages a separate MCU to do PID control of the spindle speed.

1 Like

this is something Iā€™d love to have on my machine too. Could you share more details, wiring or some photos will be very helpfull.

Thank you!