Inch/mm chart

actually a meter of beer is a common order in a bar when you have to celebrate with friends. Probably all bars have them in some form.

but i guess this is the same as a yard of beer, only you probably get 1 more:-)

2 Likes

Except a yard of beer is in a single glass, at least with your metre of beer, you get to share.

ah i see :slight_smile:

It’s this sort of thing:

1 Like

Even the mythbusters don’t know the difference apparently…

okay…

1 inch steel? Seriously?

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Thanks. That helps a lot.

For close precision work in. is better. An inch micrometer can measure to .0001 in. The smallest unit on a metric mic is .001 mm (.0001 in = .000393701 mm.)

2 Likes

no you’re math is right my post was wrong, a metric mic can only only read 2 decimal places not 3 so ,01 mm=.000397 in. or aprox. 4 times .0001 in. that’s what I get for doing math in my head.

That’s cool, I haven’t used one since I was in Germany back in '85. Have you got a link?

FWIW, that argument does work for Fahrenheit vs. Celsius/centigrade — it’s even more cogent there since 180 degrees between freezing and boiling pretty much matches the human ability to differentiate temperatures, but it’s quite easy to have two objects which while ostensibly the same temperature (measured in Celsius) are perceived to be different in temperature.

There’s also a greater tendency towards consensus of comfortable temperature ranges (most folks will agree 60s are cool, 70s comfortable, 80s warm, 90s hot, but few will agree on 21 or 27 degrees C as the dividing temperature).

While it’s nice that we have the objective/rational Metric system, I’m glad to have the option to use the human-centric Imperial system which affords an easy way to divide things into thirds (and if need be, I can haul out a graphic deisgn ruler which uses PostScript points for 72 units per inch).

Infinite decimals matter when I get a page layout and an art program for a multi-column layout and the size of a two column ad does not equal column width × 2 + gutter — happens all the time from countries using metric, but I’ve never gotten a file set up in Points/Picas which didn’t work out perfectly — some composition systems will then scale the ad up or down to fit (usually it’s up) which if some multiple appears on the page will cause text to go to the next page, which eventually will throw off the page counts.

Metric is appropriate for CAM and when machines are doing the counting, so long as things are set up and allowed to work out. It’s a pain if there’s anything else going on.

I didn’t think you would have a link to metric mic that read to .001 mm. and you haven’t. I don’t think you ever will.

Just go buy one from Starret:

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/metrology/metrology-products/precision-measuring-tools/micrometers/Micrometer-Sets/SV436.1MAXRLZ

SET, 0-75mm, 0.001mm Grad

I stand corrected.

haha seriously is this seriously still a thing?

OK I’ll play…
Imperial only still exists because the US and two other obscure countries are too stubborn to admit the rest of the world have a superior unit system in virtually every respect. Case and proof: this thread.
Just bc you’re used to it doesn’t mean it makes sense. It’s okay to be rational about it.

1. this is irrelevant in the discussion.
  2. metric micrometers go to 3 decimals.
  3. So you ARE using decimals? They’re handy aren’t they… :joy:

As I’ve noted in other threads on this — not being able to divide by thirds, sixths, twelfths, &c. and have things come out evenly makes work tedious.

I’d probably be more inclined to switch, or at least use metric more except the last time I found a metric brass-bound four-fold boxwood rule it was $400.

I know you are very passionate about what you do, but I doubt the SI cares tbh.
I have some experience in graphics & print, and it just is not an issue. Never was, and now with digital printing: never will be.

I have a lot of experience in graphics & print. Dealing with incorrectly sized / inconsistent ad programs is a pain, and a potential point of error as noted.

The scaling problem comes up on jobs I work on as noted due to the composition systems I work with, XML PP (formerly XyVision), &c.

that second one is actually funny :sweat_smile:

1. I answered a specific post. Your post as a matter of fact
  2. metric mics that read to 3 decimal places are not common and are very expensive.
  3. I was an aerospace machinist for 40 years and made 7 different parts for the space shuttle program, of course I use decimals.
2 Likes