Inkscape to Easel - the object "changes"

I designed a text object in Inkscape and use the skew tool to “italicize” the font object. I saved the SVG and imported into Easel and the object no longer has the skew?? Tried it twice…everything looks fine except the skew isn’t there

I would go to inkscape and make the design with the skew, then save as a different and distinct file name and the try to load the newer file.

Just curious if you are saving the file proper? or if it is an older version of the file.

That’s weird, what font are you using? Once you create an SVG nothing should move. I just tried it in Inkscape and it did the same thing. I’m not familiar with Inkscape so I tried it in CorelDraw and it worked.
Russell
Edit:
I saved the file on the left as an SVG then opened it in Easel, it’s not italicized anymore.

1 Like

I make the changes, update the path, and “SAVE AS” and replace the existing file. I can try to resave with a different name and see if that works. I’m not on that computer right now, will have to do it later.

So I’m not the only one having issues…good to know it’s not just me. The font name is Sugar & Spice.

I think it’s something with the skew function. I need an Inkscape guru… or more YouTube

1 Like

I did it in Corel if you need it. If you figure it out in Inkscape let me know.
The top one is the original and I slanted the bottom 4 a little on each one.
Russell

1 Like

Man, thank you very much for the help…in the same font and accessible. Much appreciated!!

2 Likes

@DeanWhitaker I’m curious of the steps you took to make the Inkscape file.
This is imported from an inkscape created file.
https://easel.inventables.com/projects/Wtl_d3JPwcdB7Vrb97uqrA

Here is the SVG.
skew.svg

1 Like

Once I created the font layout, size, etc.; I selected the text, hit OBJECT TO PATH; then TRACE BITMAP; then SAVE AS.
I’m VERY green with Inkscape…actually with all of this, so yes please let me know what I’m missing.

What bitmap are you tracing? Was all of this created in Inkscape?

NeilFerreri1…so I created the entire text / object in Inkscape. I didn’t take the Inkscape college course…LOL…I YouTube info as I need it. The YouTube video says to tract bitmap when removing backgrounds, etc so assumed this was something I needed to do each time.
Bottom line, I haven’t a real clue what I’m doing. Every single thing I’ve done, I’ve had to figure out from reading or watching on YouTube.
study, try to find patterns / designs, etc. & design for 2-3 hours, and then get to use my machine for 20-30 minutes to cut / carve…it’s kinda frustrating. I work all day on a computer…didn’t really want my CNC time to be more computer time
Anyway…if you have SIMPLE step by step instructions on how to use Inkscape or useful tips, I’ll take them

a bitmap image is a collection of colored blocks (bits) that form an image, this can be found by zooming in on the image and you will notice the small blocks that are of a single color.

Inkscape is a vector program which in essence is two points in space and data the interpreter what happens between them (curve, line width, color etc). with a vector image when you zoom there are no blocks as the space is relative to the information hence they are scale-able.

If you created the image in inkscape it should already be a vector (that is what inkscape creates) so there is no bitmap image to convert.

the reason I am pointing this out is before you can figure out where the problem is you need to under the basics of what you are working with and the difference so that you can make the proper assessment of the problem.

also you are going in the correct direction with vector images when working with your CNC as it is similar in function with what the machine will do when working with the code (two points in space and how to transverse between them).

some of the biggest problems I see are not understanding what you are working with, and from that not properly importing the images into the cad/cam program.

some have duplicate lines, ( you only want one cut path) some have open vectors (two lines that are not connected) etc. etc.

like everyone, take your time, with practice comes proficiency. and even the best of the best have new stuff to learn.

Oh I think the problem is that what you meant to do was to convert the text to outlines. Inkscape has a different name for that than illustrator does.

Here is the tutorial a buddy made for just this topic on the Gowforge forums:

KennethConnell1
You’re correct, this biggest issue is not understanding what you’re working with. When you work 50 hours a week and come home and work another 3-4 hours you don’t feel like watching YouTube videos of “how to”…you want to cut something and be creative. I’m in front of two monitors all day, every day…that’s why I’m just getting back you after almost a month.
With all of this being said…where’s the cliff’s notes on this? I have an image (heart border) I pulled from a Google search that I want to carve. I can get it to import, but it’s not importing the image / object properly, and I really have zero idea where to go to find the fix. The issue I believe is that the hearts are somewhat opaque and a very light violet color. They need to be dark black, I kinda get that (I think) but no idea how to make that happen.
Anyway, long story…still looking for any shortcuts to learning this.
Thanks for your time

@DeanWhitaker Share the image here please.

Ask for help when you need it. You’ll get it. Use that as a shortcut to learning what you need to.
Inkscape is a program with countless tools, options and extensions. Learn as you go, and you’ll realize that you don’t need but a few of those. If you start trying to learn “Inkscape” or “Graphic Design”, you’re in for a lot of stuff you can’t use on an X-Carve.

It seems weird (like the save didn’t write to the correct file) that the skew was lost. Inkscape (or illustrator) when doing something like that to a path changes the path’s shape. There is nothing to lose. A good test would be draw a rectangle and apply the skew (forget text, even though at this point it’s just a shape) and see if that works. So it makes no sense that it would lose the skew, as there is nothing to lose, it’s baked into the shape (it’s now a parallelogram, and yes a rectangle is also a parallelogram, but you know what I mean)

Here’s the jpg I’m trying to work with. I’m carving a plaque for someone and this is what they gave me to work with. (obviously the lower left text needs removed)

Hello Dean,
I traced the image in InkScape and it didn’t do good, I imported the image into CorelDraw and it came out better.

Here is a quick Inkscape convertion: