Interesting variation on Aztec calendar

Not sure what’s more disturbing, the fact that people make them, or that they’re selling them on Etsy…

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2452217

1 Like

Hey I have one of those!

… a bit itchy

1 Like

thought about starting a new thread but I think this fits. An interesting variation on the Aztec dial.
I made a star wars one and gave it to a guy for his birthday. He loved it. Then someone told me to make a Rick and Morty one. Rick and morty art style fits well. This is what I have so far. I think it needs a lot more work and is no were near as sifisticated as the starwars version. any and all suggestions are welcome. This is a work in progess and perhaps the community here can colaborate to make it better. so far I have just simulated in v carve as a couple of quick engrave tool paths.

2 Likes

Do you have v-carve software? After that it is just time tracing BMP, cutting and joining vectors, experiment with different tool paths.

1 Like

Yeah I must have a gift there. I know I have spent 16+ hours on a project just snapping together vectors on the computer. But I figure once its designed then it can be used over and over or given away for others to enjoy.

1 Like

Definantly have to add Mr poopybutthole and pickle rick

3 Likes

I definitely don’t have the patience either. Couple weeks ago I was thinking of creating a GoT themed dial and started with the vectors of the iron throne in the center, but that contained 90 or so individual sword vectors and I was like screw that I don’t have time for this. Lol

1 Like

not trying to take over the thread just excited to share the progress. At this point it is looking more like a clock face but I have some rings mapped out. about 5 hrs in so far. The Beth monster opposite the worm was a night mare. I ended up just about drawing it free hand because the trace tool in v carve is just not good enough from some images.

3 Likes

Just saw this Marvel adaption. It was designed and made by Kyle Emerick. He spent over 60 hours on the design and used Aspire to create it. Amazing!

He has more pictures on his web site.

3 Likes

Quick! Delete the links!!!

just messing around… somebody had too.

Dang that is sweet!

1 Like

Progress report. I’m not sure how busy I should make this thing. I haven’t been keeping up with the new season to figure out more good things to add. But I feel this show almost needs its own disc for each season. Still have a long way to go. It is nice to just sit at the computer now that all the x mas projects are out the door.

1 Like

pickle riiick

1 Like

A fantastic show requires fantastic tributes! Looking great, I have to say, since this show came out, I’ve been waiting for this. I just don’t have the ability yet to create such beautiful work. In time tho lol. Keep it up! Can’t wait to see the finished product! Great work!

I have seen this on the forum before. I had commented on it, then some guy who doesnt even have a xcarve said it was his design and wanted me to purchase the rights for resale. I told him to bite off and his response was something about his lawyer contacting me. Never happened but hes actually claiming his work which is in reality George Lucas’s work. All im saying is be prepared to deal with this a-hole… Ive been cutting the heck out of them, just not “selling”…

1 Like

Definite possibility, honestly when he got sh*tty I blocked him from my mental bank… Still wasnt sure how someone could get all bent over assembling someone elses work into a circle and calling it their own but I dumb to others entitlements… Ill try to find the original post, was about 1.5 or 2 yrs ago…

1 Like

being the devil’s advocate here, but he’s in his right.
He made the artwork. He must have spent dozens of hours on it. You can see rough sketches etc. on his website.

He claims he has permission to use Star Wars assets. Whether that is true or not is debatable, but it doesn’t even matter a tiny bit.
Selling someone elses work (in any reproduction form) goes against copyright law. The fact his artwork is based off Star Wars characters is irrelevant in this discussion.

that is extremely unrespectful towards the guy’s apparent graphical talent.

The file has been shared all over. A lot of people have carved it for themselves. As did I. That is one thing. Making money off someone elses work is another. If he went to court, he’d win. Always.

If anyone is having a false sense of entitlement it is probably you.

1 Like

You and @anon68752607 are agreeing an awful lot these days… :smile:

3 Likes

I never said he has no graphic talent, actually his original work is quite good, and I told him so when i first encountered him. So you remarked on something you know little about, obviously.

This means that he has lost any recourse to the use of it simply because he didnt take the time to protect his work before turning it loose on the internet.

Im sure you would sell it if someone offered you money for it… dont try to deny it cuz you would…

Ford,GM,Chevrolet,Honda, Toyota,IBM,Samsung,LG … your statement doesnt hold water

I have no expectation of entitlement unless it is a original design i made using no one elses anything.
He didnt design or create the xwing, vader helmet, rebel logo, storm trooper,bb8,death star, imperial destroyers or the millenium falcon…He arranged on the piece… that is what he is entitled to… the arrangement

Well bro thats what you did so i guess i can f off all day, you arranged other peoples designs…thats it… sorry but you dont just get a participation medal in the real world…

Why would you pour months into something just to give it away?, i think your talking only because you have lips…

I commend your dedication, I cant wait to see the finished product, should look nice

What your doing is being done already, so challenging others to make it seems pointless. But cool if somebody does…

All that being said … I apologize for making anyone feel less than by my comments. I bluntly say things for 2 reasons…(1) the world needs more honesty and less “you did good because you showed up”. (2) I expect nothing less from myself or from others about me or my work.

1 Like

Now you’re just challenging me to pick a fight, dont you? :joy:

As for the guy moaning for the last few posts. I’m not even going to bother. I didn’t even care enough to read it all… If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it is that the level of quote spamming in a post is usually inversely proportional to its writer’s ability to listen to common sense. And your replies seem to confirm that.

Pm me if you want to hear on how many levels you are in the wrong here. No need to make this into yet another tocic thread.