Introducing The "X-Bench"

That is very similar to the one that I have been working on, except mine is reinforced with metal at the top, the electronics section is LED illuminated, and the torsion sections are filled with expanding foam. I was also going to enclose the top of the torsion box to cut down on noise, but I am going to achieve that via another route.

You’ve put a lot of thought into your X-Bench. Great job!

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I guess I ought to include the X-Carve model to avoid such a problem, huh? :slight_smile: I’ll look into this. If I understand, you used two pieces of plywood per leg, joined to form a 90 degree?

Thanks! Hopefully it works as planned. :wink:

Sounds great! I’m looking forward to seeing it when it’s completed. Yeah, noise might be a factor in my design but I’ll tackle that one when I get there… LED illumination is a good idea! :slight_smile:

Thanks! Now I just need to render it in wood. :wink:

That’s the fun part :slight_smile:

Here’s the bench I just finished

Yes, exactly. Even the overhang I used for the top almost caused the same issue and I still ended up moving the end of the drag chain so the cable wouldn’t get in the way of anything.

Also, if the electronics are any further away than actually inside the torsion box (like I did) you’ll probably have to rewire since the stock wires won’t be long enough to reach the electronics enclosure - not the end of the world, just something to know in advance.

That’s a nice, solid looking bench (and your workshop isn’t a bit shabby either for that matter)! Wow! :slight_smile: Regarding the drag chain cable issue, can you tell me the length of the 20x20 extrusion that we see the end of in your close-up photo? Is that the short one that’s 37 3/4" long or the long one (39 3/8")? As for the wires not being long enough, it looks like I may have to extend them. I’m guessing that this is why some folks have the terminating end of the drag chain facing rearward and others (like yourself) have it facing forward (so that the controller can be located at either end)? Thanks for the heads up regarding these issues. Your help is very much appreciated.

1 Like

The piece of 20x20 in the picture is 1000mm long. The drag chain is facing the way it is because I followed the X-Carve assembly instructions and haven’t drifted much from that (yet).

Is there a sketchup model or plans for this? This bench looks awesome!

Thanks Joshua! To answer your question, yes there is a model but it’s in the form of .STL files and it’s not quite ready for release just yet as I’m still revising it. Ideally, I’d like to build the bench first before posting the model just as a level of assurance that it has no major flaws but perhaps I could release it prior with the disclaimer that it hasn’t yet been tested (in which case I could likely post the model sometime next week). The truth is, I can’t wait to build this beast! Not only do I think that it’s gonna be awesome, but I also want to get started assembling my X-Carve and that ain’t happening without the bench. I’ve already made many improvements to the model since I posted the initial images here and I’ll try and post updated images once I feel the design is pretty static. Cheers!

Better late than never, the X-Bench plans are now complete. You can download them as a .PDF here: X-Bench.pdf (5.0 MB)

Note that the images initially uploaded for this topic are now mostly out-dated. See the .PDF for the latest, most up-to-date images, features, etc.

Now to go build an X-Carve and an X-Bench. :wink:

2 Likes

I have downloaded the plans and plan to build it soon hopefully this will help change my mind about the xcarve also

Great! Let me know how it goes. I’m still re-organizing my workshop in preparation for assembling my X-Carve, lol. My workshop is way too small for all of my junk…

Yea I know how you feel that’s why I’m building this to store more of my cnc stuff there

Going thru the instructions I’m curious on your materials list it says 4x8 of 2x4s does that mean I get as many 2x4s that would make a 4x8 sheet?

No. That’s a quantity of 4 eight foot long 2x4s. Sorry. I probably need to better clarify that.

ok I’m going to make a whole new topic of my path to making the xbench if you don’t mind and please feel free to chime in when you feel the need to

1 Like

so I have some questions about the b3-box edge part. is that notch in both ends or just one? I have managed to get the ribs built now I’m putting together the sides and am wondering about the notch before I put them on. I have been using poplar for most of it as that’s what I have most of right now.

Sorry Michael for the delay… The notch or groove actually just runs along the top “inside” edge of the part. It’s there so that the box top is supported along all of its edges, in that groove. Sorry that the illustrations in the document are kind of small. I should have noted in the plans that the images are stored at a higher resolution than they are displayed at and so depending on your PDF viewer, you might be able to right click on an image and then save it to your harddrive and then view it full size. You can then look closer at either illustrations 7 or 10 to see the groove that is cut into the top of the box edge boards. Hope this helps. It sounds like you’re making good progress… Assembly of my X-Carve is halted for now until I hear back from Inventables on a problem that I encountered. :slight_smile:

No worries. I made the notches and have made the torsion box part out of complete poplar