It's Alive

I bought 4’ x 8’ sheets (smooth on both sides) and made tons of these puzzles on my old machine. They are a lot of fun and quick to cut.

Not so sure about quick, I just checked the cut time and Vcarve is telling me an hour per sheet

Nice!

I think this warrants another topic. I wouldn’t mind contributing to it as well. I have plans to also do some “cleaning up” of some of these and would be fine with posting them as SVGs or DXFs. Brachiosaurus and T-Rex are top on my list.

Which spindle? I have the Dewalt, They took about 10 minutes per sheet…and I did 2 passes to make the cuts, 1 pass probably would have been fine.

I have both of those…I can do those next. My wife posted the pics on facebook, now I have to make a t-rex and stegosaurus for her friends, so those will be done tomorrow as well.

Sounds like I am being to conservative with my 1/8 bit

I usually run it at 40 ipm and a DOC of .04 inch

But that is always in hard wood.

My grandson is going to love these!

With my 1.5mm end mill I did 50 ipm and 2 passes. I could have gone faster and done it in 1 pass, 1/8th inch bit should be able to do it faster… If you are using the same material I used, Masonite… Hardboard.

1 Like

Thanks I will increase the feed rate and DOC

Here is a quick sign I made for the dog…the wife had to have it…lol…I cut, she paints.

2 Likes

Cool!

If you have any that you want me to do, send them along and I’ll try and replicate what you are doing in the cleanup phase.

I’ll go through my files tomorrow…I have tons of them, I got most of them off of CNCZone…I have been collecting them for years. I only cut a handful of them. But since I have the new machine everybody wants one now…I’ll post a list of what I have and you can pick some to clean up if you like.

1 Like

Would you also post the .dxf file please for those of us that don’t have Vcarve.

Thanks Erik

I will gladly post them in any format that is needed. I’ll post the .dxf file of the Sabre Tooth Tiger when I get home from work.

@DennisMartin - Here are the .dxf files for the Sabre Tooth Tiger. There are 2 files as I split them up to cut them on smaller pieces of board ( 9" x 11.5"). As I said earlier, the slots are just a little tight, I had to use a file to get them to slide together if you scale them up by 0.05% in whatever program you are using it should make them good. I cut them out with a 1.5mm endmill, if you use anything much larger you might have to move the pieces a bit.

Again, if anyone cuts these please post a picture :smile:
Sabre Tooth Tiger - Page 1.dxf (1.2 MB) Sabre Tooth Tiger - Page 2.dxf (1.2 MB)

5 Likes

Thank you kind sir!!

1 Like

Here is one more, the Pteranodon. This is set up exactly like the Sabre Tooth Tiger (2 pages), except the slots are good for this one, no re-sizing should be necessary for 1/8" material.

I haven’t cut this version yet, but I plan to this evening or tomorrow.

Pteranodon.crv (892.5 KB) Pteranodon - Page 1.dxf (68.9 KB) Pteranodon - Page 2.dxf (51.5 KB)

3 Likes

@ErikJenkins - I got the Sabre Tooth Tiger cut out. I was not able to find the two side smooth 1/8 hardboard so I had to settle for one side smooth. Not as good but it works.

Any hints on how to assemble this pile of bones?

And of course their was a bit of excitement encountered cutting out the first sheet. After I cut the screw holes and got every thing fastened down and then cut out the holes I started to do the sheet 1 cutout and somehow I forgot to zero the machine properly. So when I sent the file with UGS, GRBL thought the bit was about 4 inches above the work surface (it was really sitting right on top of the work)

So, like a good robot it corrected the problem of the bit being to high by pushing it as far as the collet would allow into the work and wastboard. Then it tried to move to the first X, Y location. It got about 1 inch (completely embedded in the wastboard) before I could respond and hit the Estop.

So, that happened.

I must admit I have a new found respect for the little 1/16 upcut 2 flute bit. It was cutting through the 3/4 inch MDF wasteboard like a hero. (there was a litlle smoke) but the 611 cranked up the torque and spun that little trooper for all it was worth.

And to think I was worried about trying to cut the full 1/8 of the hardboard in one pass :slight_smile:

After that little unexpected demonstration of raw power I went back to Vcarve and changed the DOC and feed rate. Cut the full sheet of parts in 6 minutes!

Thanks again for the file. (now I just need to figure out how to put it together)

2 Likes

I found this on CNCZone - Should help with assembly

Saber_Tooth.pdf (203.6 KB)

I just picked up 2 more 4 x 8 sheets of the hardboard at Lowes (smooth on both sides) just under $10 each. I have a bunch of requests for more…lol