It's Alive

Very nice!

Cut this one yesterday. Pteranodon, 22" from wingtip to wingtip and 12" long. I used a 1/8", 2 flute, downcut endmill. Much cleaner cut and this thin material didn’t try tp climb up the bit.

2 Likes

Tweaked the pteranodon file…added a new layer with assembly guide.
Pteranodon.crv (1.7 MB)

Hi @ErikJenkins

Would you be adverse to me adding these skeletons as projects on Easel?

Please do, that would be great.

Ok, cool. Will do.

Once they are up, I’ll start a new thread just for the skeletons on the forum and credit you in it and each project.

Sounds good, thank you!

Ok, for reference, what is the width of the vectors on the T-Rex file?

I’m trying to get the scale just right.

I think I got it… are the slots 1/8 inch?

Yes they are.

Looks to be a simple process… I have some spare material, so I’ll try and get a good carve soon and a few pics for the project. After that, I’ll start posting.

I am in the process of adding numbers to a new layer in V-Carve as an assembly guide, I’ll post that for each one as an image.

On the T-Rex, remember there are three holes on the two head pieces that require inside the line cuts and the rest of the cuts are outside the line.

1 Like

Got it. Good catch. Thanks!

3 Likes

Just finished and it turned out great. Imports into Easel and cuts great. I’ll post the project soon.

1 Like

That looks good. Just out of curiosity, what bit and speeds did you use for that? I am putting together the assembly instructions for more of the dinosaurs.

Thanks. I think it could be better with a down cut bit, but I don’t have one so I used the following:

1.58mm 2 flute up-cut solid carbide flat end mill (fish tail)
950 mm/min
13500 rpm
0.8mm DOC
3.175mm thick single side finish hardboard (Masonite)

I had a little tear-out, but nothing a light sanding didn’t take care of. From clamping down (next time I’ll use a bit of double sided tape in the middle) to finished assembly was about 1.5 hours including sanding and cleaning.

I always use screws on the thin material like this for hold-down. Tape tends to tear up the thin material when it is removed. I set up a drilling path first…drill holes then screw down the material. It is quick and saves a lot of hassle with the tape and the thin material trying to climb up the bits.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s how I secure my work pieces as well, once you get in the habit it’s a great way of doing it, especially on larger/thinner projects where having spots secured in the middle of the piece really helps.

1 Like