Johnny 5 - 'Short Circuit' animatronic 'Hero' robot - Dream commission!

Hi Dave,

I am really excited for both you and myself - as hopefully I may learn something.
Just wanted to thank you for being so “Epic” and sharing everything with us.
That is the most awesomest thing ever.
Now I will watch with bated breath as #5 Comes Alive.

Regards and I hope you have the best Christmas and 2016 is kind to you :smile:

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment!!!

I’m going to kick off next week with an initial upload of 3d head renders, and basic plans, and parts lists.
The ‘J5’ head design is iconic, and could be recreated by community members as a stand alone display piece!!!

As far as the build goes, thankfully I’ve been able to extend my deadline by 6 months…I now have 9 months to build ‘J5’:)…I’m really pleased as I need all the time I can get!!!

I’m awaiting my first down payment…a word of advice to all makers…if you are taking on a commission that requires you to invest a large amount of time, and money…ALWAYS ask for a down payment, (Unless of course you know your client extremely well, and trust them 100%).

I’m so amazed at the reaction of the community!!! Making a ‘Johnny 5’ is something I’ve always wanted to do, but could never find the time…thats why this commission was a dream come true:)

Hope you have a fantastic Christmas too!!! and all the very best for 2016!!!

1 Like

@DaveSullivan I hope that deposit covers a new XC1K! :heavy_dollar_sign:

1 Like

Hi there,

Would be nice, but…with 7 children, and 1 on the way…every penny counts!!!

I also agreed to complete the project for a very competitive price…I’m more than happy to do that if the job appeals to me :smile:

All the very best

Dave

PS: I’d really need an XC 1800 x 1000…some of the parts are quite large!!!

Dave

Are most of the structural parts going to be alunimum.

Dave

Hi Dave,

They sure are…in fact all of the major structural components, and 75% of the rest of the build needs to be machined from aluminium…thankfully the most complex parts of the build, the head shells are made from GRP with aluminium detail panels…I’m going to keep a machine time log:)…I can’t even start to work out how long the machining is going to take!!!

All the very best

Dave

Dave

Can you meet me on the hang out link from Sat. Would like to talk with you about the project.

Dave

Here is the link. https://hangouts.google.com/call/tulhqnuq6oe6e44etpnbcb6juaa

Hi Dave,

I would love to, but I’m at my workshop at the moment…no cam, no mic, no speakers…basic set-up on this machine…I’m working on the CAD drawings…redrawing all of the original plans I’ve managed to source…I’ve got to get all of the head and neck drawings completed by the morning, as I’ve got another clients project to complete by Friday…I’ve got a manic week ahead of me!!

All the very best

Dave

PS: I’m intending to join the hangout on Sat…we could talk about it then if thats OK?

OK but I expect that we will be back to our normal time of 1800 PST or 0200 your time.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That will be fine…I’ll make sure I get some shut eye after the job goes off on Friday morning…it would be great to chat with you guys about it!!

All the very best

Dave

Sounds good

Dave

1 Like

Hi there Angus,

Great idea!!! but there are a couple of issues that would arise if I used ply… firstly, the structural components would have to be thicker to support upper body weight, and enable them to cope with the stresses the actuators would exert on them.
Secondly, using multiple layers would increase the build time…we used this method when we built an R2 many moons ago…the internal structure was made using marine ply, which was then encased in an aluminium skin.
I’m always open minded when it comes to using different materials, but sadly in this instance I don’t have any option…I have to use Aluminium plate.
Love Mick Reeves Metalcoat by the way…I’ve used it on hand props…on the right surface it looks amazing!!.

All the very best

Dave

Hi Angus,

I really do appreciate your ‘input’…no pun intended:)

It’s fantastic that you took the time to try and find an simpler construction solution…and by the way, it wasn’t a silly idea!! It’s a method I’ve used on previous projects to great effect!!

LOL :smile: , I’m eagerly awaiting the “Why didn’t you…”, and the “You should have…” comments…the whole point behind posting this project on the community is to share knowledge, and encourage discussion…there are a lot of knowledgable people who are members of the community, your good self included!!!

Thank you so much again Angus!!

All the very best

Dave

Awesome! What a great project to tackle. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together.

“No disassemble #5. Number 5 alive!”

Hi Steven,

Thank you so much!! I’m currently working on the CAD drawings at the moment…I’ll post some images over the next few days :smile:

I doubt I’m going to have the opportunity to start the actual build until January…especially with the Christmas holidays fast approaching!!.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m going to start by building ‘J5’s’ head, which for me is going to be the most fun:)

[quote=“StevenP_FrenchJr, post:105, topic:16777”]
“No disassemble #5. Number 5 alive!”
[/quote] Lol, indeed :smile:

All the very best

Dave

There are 21 Servos used in the head. :slight_smile:

I am happy to see someone enjoying our sound samples! :slight_smile: These are all new recordings and will be the voice of our robots!

Any pictures of your progress?

Hi there Devin, umm…this is what I know so far…

1: Upper lid/brow x 4 servos visible + 2 mounted internally
2: Lower lid x 2 servos
3: Laser x 1 servo
4: Radar dish x 2 servos
5: Eyes - lens iris, eye movement, side vent flaps, x 9 servos

Interesting…I recently updated the head total to 20…where is the other servo located? I can’t see it on any of my ref images…I don’t want to miss anything:)

All the very best

Dave

Hi there,

The sound samples are fab!!! Thank you so much for sharing them!!!

All the very best

Dave