Laser added. :)

No worries RobertDiplacido- I also had some steep learning curves when I started working with the CNC machine. If you are primarily using the set up provided by Inventables for your original X-Carve then you are probably using either 0.9i or 0.9j grbl hex. If you actively changed out your grbl hex by uploading the 0.9g from jtech, then you are perhaps using that. You can see which version you are using when you connect your system to the computer and open one of the various options of gcode sender. In the case of Easel, it isnā€™t as transparent but you can get to it through the ā€˜Machineā€™ tab. Unfortunately I am away from my machine right now so I canā€™t directly walk you through the details of which buttons to push, but I believe the advanced tab and machine inspector would lead you to the details. If you use the Universal Gcode sender (free online with basic google search), once you connect the machine to your computer and ā€˜openā€™ the connection, the software will tell you which version you are using. Picsender software will also provide you the same result with this process. There are a myriad of gcode senders out there that once connected would give you the detail you are looking for.

Additional details can be found at:

http://www.picengrave.com/

hope this helps. Welcome to the community and carve on!

2 Likes

Recently set my laser unit up, but Iā€™ve been having troubles with the actual firmware to drive it. Everything from not being able to move the gantry itself to, and most recently, the board not interpreting curves correctly (itā€™ll do an octagon in place of a circle, for instance). Is it possible to get the firmware version youā€™re using? Iā€™m more interested in cutting/deep engraves rather than raster engraves, but Iā€™d also be interested in being able to switch between the two. Iā€™ve recently tried J-Techā€™s .9g, PicEngraveā€™s .9j, and at some point was using basic grbl 1.0c

Edit:
Flashed stock .9j from the grbl github and arcs work as they should?

In J-Techā€™s LaserMode grbl 9g, make sure you have grbl set with $14=1 (auto start, bool) or it will not move. It does not support arc or G00 commands. Itā€™s just for raster engraving images with G01 linear moves and S commands for PWM laser control. Or, vector engraving/cutting with linear moves. We (PicEngrave) do not have our own grbl, other then the J-Tech LaserMode grbl 9g HEX that can be downloaded from our forum.

1 Like

Well, that would most certainly explain why the curves werenā€™t coming out. Thanks!

is there an instruction on how to add this to your xc?

MichaelWilcox- this site should help set you up- http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=3565

I have a different set up with the mount on the side versus on top, but this should help guide you to a basic set up until you decide how you want to personalize it.

Michael, Did you get everything working okay?

i havent gotten my xcarve yet im waiting to get it and set it all up and do some stuff with it and then make some money so i can buy the laser

My only issue is when laser moves to start project. laser turns on when it gets to spot, but z axis goes down for a couple of seconds in one spot, burning a spot there. Not sure if Iā€™m missing something, z doesnā€™t move after that. Does it every time at start.

What software are you using? It may be your plunge rate.

V carve and ugs

Actually may have created in pic engraver pro 5.

If in V carve I have plunge set to 10 in per min and clearance at. 125

Hereā€™s a screen shot

Interesting. I havenā€™t experienced any z movement. I havenā€™t tried using vcarve and the laser. I would recommend opening up the text file and searching (Find) for ā€˜Zā€™ movements.

Hereā€™s the start of code

Interesting. It appears you have not set the laser power in this screenshot. Under the laser options, I would recommend S254 if you are using the jtech 0.9g grbl hex and S1100 if you are using the 0.9j or later grbl hex. Picecengrave folks can provide better guidance. Your federate is pretty low. I am guessing you are looking to burn deep at that slow of a rate. In order to increase speed of completing your project (assuming you are laser etching into a wood product), you can raise your inches/min up to 100-120 and use the check box for ā€˜use feed rate changeā€™ 40% works pretty well for most of my projects. I think your max 3rd axis depth may be something to look at as well. I have mine at 50 but I canā€™t tell you why that is at this point. I had that setting since the beginning and I havenā€™t changed it for laser ops. Again- the folks at picengrave can provide better info. Also, under the help tab there are additional instructions to help this set up.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing u meant s11000. Thanks, this was from a new file and forgot a few things. How I got the first project to run withou more problems is beyond me.

After looking back at the details, I need to correct what I wrote. The max 3rd axis depth should be your max power of your laser. The file I pulled up was one where I lowered the power down to 50. This is where you should change the value to the highest power output you want to for the laser. 255 I believe is the max for the 0.9g. For 09. it should be 1000 (not 10000). You can also set the minimum value for output in the ā€˜min 3rd axis depthā€™ section. Sorry for my error in details above. When I was dealing with the 0.9j hex, I received this from the folks at Picengrave

ā€œIt takes S0-S1000 for spindle speed control and has a slight hesitation because itā€™s for a spindle, not a laser. The PWM frequency is at 7.8Khz and the J-Tech Laser driver requires 1Khz, so the laser does not come on until around S85. Try a 100IPM feedrate, 30% feed rate change, min 150 and max 1000 and try engraving with that.ā€

Again, regret the incorrect details up front. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Which laser r u selecting. Iā€™ve tried a few different ones, now z axes shoots to the top. Iā€™ve tried everything and now z axis acts like its binding. And tonight X belt decided to snap, discovered set screw fell out which is probably why belt broke.