Laser added. :)

If you use the Analog/PWM engraving profile, there are more engraving options to choose from. There are no Z axis command moves in the gcode when using a S for the 3rd. Axis Letter, so your Z should not be moving. Use the GRBL Z Code in PicSender to jog & set the focal height from your material, zero the Z axis, then switch to the GRBL PWM Code to run your S command laser gcode.

To all of our customers, our new updated versions of PicEngrave Pro 5, PicLaser & PicSender include new Tutorials, so be sure to download and install the latest versions. www.PicEngrave.com - Pic Programs

1 Like

So I tried the analog laser and was able to stop z axis movement but laser does not come on. I set max to 1000 and min to 150. And feed to 100. But when I run it acts like itā€™s doing something but X carve is just moving in a straight line across with no laser. Ran original file that I had success with and it works fine, so it has to be file I created. Still not sure if it was created in vcarve or picengrave pro 5. Not having a lot of success yet.

The Spindle On/Off was selected in PicEngrave in your screenshot. It inserted the M03 at the beginning of the file to turn on the laser. When you switched to analog/PWM, the default 3rd Axis Letter will be Z, so make sure you change it to S and the Spindle On/Off is selected also. Once you select Save and Close, it will save all the settings, even if you switch to a different engraving profile. Just make sure you use the Save and Close and not the Hide Settings.

1 Like

So it says s is for grbl pwm . But I tried what it anyway and still no luck. I figured out that my my first success was actually done with vcarve. The only reason it was going up was because vcarve has the safe z height clearance in there, was able to lower it some but wouldnā€™t let me take it out. But I have tried every way from Sunday and can not get it to work in pep5. Is it possible that itā€™s not working with my computer. It seemed like when I did the trial it worked, but now Iā€™m wondering. I think I figured out why the z axis was acting funny, when my belt broke, I pulled the X axis motor off but when I put it back on I pinched a wire for z motor. And to top it off the usb hub for X controller broke, but ok because I had already order one that actually holds the usb wire in.

Would it work if I added it o the precode

You can add whatever is needed in the PreCode/PostCode, but Iā€™m not sure what your referring. M03? If so, the Spindle On/Off in the Gcode Options needs to be selected so the M03 is inserted in the beginning of the gcode file.

1 Like

So I checked the box for spindle, which if your looking at the gcode would be your mo3 or laser on. The weird part is itā€™s not inserting a s12000 or power to laser in the gcode. Iā€™ve put max and min with no luck. I changed the z to s. When u click on box to change letter, it says your not supposed to use s.

Did you accidently select Cancel instead of OK?

It will come up with this message if Cancel is selected and the 3rd axis letter will stay Z.

When using S commands for varied laser power it will not be in the beginning of the gcode with M03, but on every line of gcode with the X&Y axis command moves.

1 Like

And what about the Gases that the laser generates when burning? They are not very good I heard.

That is why Glowforge has filters or escape piping systems. And the chinese laser cutters as wellā€¦ no?

I think thatā€™s primarily to keep the smoke from interfering with the laser beam focus and intensity. But yeah, itā€™s a good idea to ventilate it in any case.

Iā€™ll try it again. Thought that s1200 had to be in there. Will try it again later.

It does need the s1200 if you use the PWM for spindle control. Then you add a S1200 or whatever your grbl requires in the Precode so the M03 will turn it on.

1 Like

When using the X Controller and the J Tech laser, how does one go about switching between the laser and the DeWalt router, without having to have two separate controllers?

A toggle switch for changing from the UNOā€™s D11 PWM for spindle control to laser control.

1 Like

Are their directions on how to do this. Being a newbie, please forgive my ignorance.

This switch is only needed if you use the D11 pin for switching your Dewalt on/off with a relay. A DPDT (Double Poll Double Throw) switch like this can be used.

DPDT Toggle Switch

You wire D11 & Ground from the UNO to the center two lugs on the toggle switch, then the two lugs on each side will either go to the Spindle relay PWM & Ground or laser modulation PWM & Ground on the driver. When you toggle the switch one way, it will connect the PWM to the spindle relay and when toggled the other way, it connects to the Laser Driver.

1 Like

I think I understand your directions. However, i cannot seem to relate them to the X Controller.

I take that back. I just looked at the X Controller again and saw the connector for the PWM and ground as you mention.

Although Iā€™m still not certain where D11 is on the X Controller.