Let’s see those Christmas orders!

I REAAAAAAALY want a laser I’m looking at the OPT lasers X-carve kit but its pricey :anguished:

1 Like

Yea I’m just intrigued by the little extra power it has , I’m more interested in “cutting” thin plywood’s and materials I also want to experiment with etching cerakoted pistols and ar-15 I think it would be able to do it kind of like those dog tag machines at the pet supply stores…

Quick cross section of the things I’ve put out for Christmas.

10 Likes

Well like the stuff Phil’s been making and cutting out is what I want to do but a bit faster , the opt lasers supposed to be able to engrave painted and anodized metals

that 282 address sign is badass

What font do you use one your cutout name signs? I’ve been trying to find a good connected font.

Thanks,

Donnie

Pacifico in Easel, I run a 60 degree vbit first down to a 1/4" (this creates a nice chamfered look to the letters) then I use a 1/8 straight bit to cut though…this is 5/8" thick MDF.

Both the letter and the name take an hour combined to get set up and carved, then I spray paint them a few coats and clear coat them, the entire sign is done in a couple hours and I make 80 to 100 bucks off each one

1 Like

Any advice on how you do the multiple colors. I find it to be a pain. Currently I try painting the whole thing. Then masking. Then carving. Then painting the cut out area. Then peel masking off.
Is this your technique or is there a better way?

Ive been using the method I found on here, I stain my wood or paint prior to carve and spray some sort of clear coat (poly, shellac, wood sealer etc.) then once it’s 100% dry, I personally spray the whole thing again once its carved…then paint letters or graphics, then everything wipes off real easy, Mineral spirits for shellac sealer and oil paints, and rubbing alcohol for acrylic paints and poly coating

2 Likes

everytime you switch to a new color, you clean up the last color, and spray more clear coat, then once dry, move on to the next color

Thanks =)

It started out as just the 282 inside the VROD, lol. ‘Can you do this?’ ‘What about this?’ ‘Maybe add this?’

Customers are fun, lol.

1 Like

lol, every damn order seems to go like this right now thanks to Christmas gifts needing to be perfect in every way lol.

1 Like

Just completed this Crokinole Board. Interesting project that just fit as the outside rim is 30". Made the mistake of using red oak plywood as the base instead of birch or something with less surface texture. Took 22 heavy sprayed coats of water based varnish and LOTS of hand sanding between coats to get a glass like finish. Got there but really need to figure out how to make the X-Carve sand!

About a third of the way through the coats the circular grid was added with a permanent marker loaded in to the pen holder I made for the X-Carve.

3 Likes

Just finished this customer key rack for my dad’s auto shop

9 Likes

Just finished a gift for my company’s Christmas party, 5 hours design to finish whew! Last minute idea! The party is tomorrow at noon didn’t have a chance to go get a 20-30$ gift …

9 Likes

I like those cutting boards. the shape of the board and the style of the inlay. very nice

Nice! Your boards inlay or lasered?

That looks awesome

Custom cribbage board for a friends wife.

7 Likes

I do a mineral oil soak on the cutting boards I etch with the laser and it really highlights everything.