Life beyond the X-carve

I am sure I could go faster but there is a balance in cut quality depending on what material your using. Lead screw systems are more accurate but you do lose some speed over belts.

hmm oh I thought it would be the other way around

Like with my new machine with gear racks and linear bearings I can run up to 900 inch/min and still be very accurate

I guess I am just unfamiliar with the screws

What are you milling at 900 ipm?

foams, hdpe, plywood, mdf

You must be using a 200Watt laser to cut plywood at 900ipm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish lol

I seen CNC router parts kits videos where people were going 200 ipm but like half an inch deep per pass in wood.
This sweet ride can take much more for sure.

yeah I have been experimenting with taking a .75" depth of cut in plywood and mdf at around 300 or so inch/min super awesome lol

Hey Mike, how much was your garageworx setup?

I listed some of the costs above. Are you looking at a total cost? I’ve been doing a bunch of customizing to it.

I saw that after I posted the comment. Seems darn near affordable to me, oh the toys!

Yeah and I’ve really been impressed not only how easy it was to put it together but also to customize it as I wanted… I may or may not have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole during that part. We should start a show called “Pimp my CNC”!

You are a lot like me it sounds… while ago I realized I enjoy so much more building CNC machines than actually using them to make things. At any given time my mind is racing coming up with ideas how to upgrade my machine instead of thinking what to make with it next.

1 Like

That was the issue with my pool table. It’s up for sale now.

If anyone is interested in my latest blog post I go over my journey from my CNC to where I am now. My CNC Journey

2 Likes

My niece called me yesterday to see if I could make her a monogram for her college graduation party. It is about 24 inches in diameter.

I found a great font called Monogram kk for free at

Edit - Fixed link

3 Likes

oh thats pretty cool!!

the link doesn’t work?:scream_cat:

The link should work now, sorry

I also made a little rocking chair for my grandson today. It just slides together, no screws or glue.

This is the prototype in .5 MDF just to make sure it all fits like it is supposed to. After assembling, I made a change to the sides so they do not require a brace.

I designed it in Vcarve, let me know if you want the project file.

I forgot to show the “key” in the back that locks it all together. That is the part my 2 year old grandson likes the best, he can “unlock” the chair and take it apart then put it back together.

7 Likes

Nicely done! I wouldn’t turn down the offer of that great project in Vcarve. Thanks.