Limit Switches when manually moving the machine from easel

Yes you should worry. Or you will end up with a limit switch graveyard like this one.

The advise about the pencil is good, as well as keeping your hand on the off switch. Also, double check your connections before starting the machine each time you use it. Especially the little molex pin connectors for the limit switches, those can easily come loose.

1 Like

Argh, just killed my first Z-limit switch. Totally my own fault, I double-tapped a 2" Z+ move in UGS instead of sending it just once, and wasn’t across the room fast enough to hit the estop before it slammed to the top. Ordered up a large replacement pack, I figure with the switches set up as they are, damage is more or less inevitable. Ah well.

@DanBrown

Nope. You can set up your machine to prevent this.

Read through this thread:

1 Like

Soft limits are your friend.

It would be nice too if Easel would have a function to manually test the functionality of the switches without moving the axis. Like a function that lets you push the switch with your finger, without moving the axis, and then indicating something like X triggered or Y not triggered.

That would help especially after building the machine when there could be potential wiring issues. Otherwise, you might find out that the wiring doesn’t work when it slams into the switch…

@OliverBlum

a function that lets you push the switch with your finger

I don’t use Easel, so I can’t help there, but grbl has the function that you want built-in. You would have to access grbl via a terminal program like HyperTerminal or Putty to use it.