Machine keeps going off track

I have asked this before but I am pulling my hair out. Xcarve will just keep cutting in a straight line. Can not for the life of me figure out how to downgrade the firmware. I have downloaded the Arduino software and followed the guide online but I keep getting an error message of:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x2e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x2c

No idea how to fix it. I am cutting quarter inch Melamine. I will post images of whats going on.

03 AM46 AM

First off, what spindle are you using? Second, When are you getting the avrdude msg? Usually that msg is given when trying to upload to an arduino when you have the wrong com port selected. What are you trying to upload to the board if your board is already programed. Here is a link to arduino Avrdude fixs, http://www.instructables.com/id/A-solution-to-avrdude-stk500getsync-not-in-syn/

As for the machine going off the board, that used to happen with the original DC spindles when they were going, that’s why I asked what spindle you are using.

Well what I was trying to do was go back to the 1.0 firmware. People had mentioned that it fixed some situations like mine.

The spindle that I am using is a DeWalt DWP611 Spindle.

I see, try that link, also have you looked at your gcode, it may be corrupt does all look ok on the simulation? does this error of it going off the board happen when you run other jobs?

Yes it does happen on other jobs so its not just this file.
I ran 2 sets of fan blades just fine this morning then on this third one it just decided to keep going.
There never seems to be any rhyme or reason for it when it happens.

The link that you did provide I did look it over is there by chance an outline on how to do this on a mac. That is what my machine is hooked to.

Not really sure, try googling the error code. it could be a host of thing from electronic noise to a bad gshield. You’re really best off calling inventables support, I’m sure they come across it.

Okay I will do that. Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Do I see that correctly, 0.3" DOC for 1/4" material?
Are you hitting the threaded inserts and losing steps?

No I have another piece of 1/4” board under the one that I am cutting as a scrap board. So that is not happening.

I have been cutting fan blades like this for a year with absolutely no problems.

Also the waste board below what I am cutting has been hollowed out so its not actually cutting .3 material. Its only cutting the .25 melamine.

I should also add that this is basically all that I use this machine for is cutting melamine. I am not that well versed in zeroing in everything so if you could bear with me. Basically I set it at that to make sure that I cut through every fan blade completely. I slowed the machine down so that I could cut everything in one pass. Do you think I should do it in two passes? Can I speed the machine up if I do that to where it equals the same time it takes to do the one pass?

Basically the first time I use the waste board yes it cuts into it some. But the next cuts it doesn’t cut into the waste board due to that first run on the new waste board.

Yes used Loctite.

My question then is why is my machine just going off into the distance and cutting off the cutting area. I have called and talked with Inventables and they think it is my gshield is bad.

1 Like

Is this what you are referring to: X-Carve Arduino/gShield Motion Controller Kit

I will definitely try cutting shallower but speed it up.

1 Like

This is what I have on the machine:

X-Carve 1000mm Rail Kit
X-Carve ACME Lead Screw Kit
X-Carve 1000mm Waste Board Kit
X-Carve NEMA 23 Stepper Motor Kit
X-Carve 110V DeWalt 611 Spindle and Mount
X-Carve Arduino/gShield Motion Controller Kit
X-Carve Power Supply Kit
X-Carve 1000mm Wiring Kit
X-Carve 1000mm Drag Chain Kit
X-Carve Limit Switch Kit

Yeah I did do that calibration test and got that set. What upgrades should I make on my machine. I do remember why I was trying to do it all in one cut is because sometimes I would not get a nice edge on the fan blades. It always varied a little, not so much stair stepped, but not straight up and down. Is there something that I should check for that issue?

Do you think that someone with little knowledge of the wiring would be able to follow and build the controller like yours? I would be afraid to get into it realize crap what have I gotten myself into, lol.

I mean looking at your cost as opposed to their Xcontroller yours is better on the wallet and I’m sure just better all around.