Machine not returning to work zero

Haldor I have done as you suggested, when I started this morning I homed the machine then jogged to where I want the work zero I zeroed X/Y/X and did not touch G28.1 it did not work this is the screen shot after carve

John it is strange that it works for you, the 6" circle is not running correctly, as Neil said it must be an electrical problem as everything jogs perfectly , the wheels move freely and it carves perfectly, it just wonā€™t return to zero

Patrick, do you mean the X/Y/Z displays are not showing zeros,

or the bit itself is not at your work zero,

or both are not at zero position?

That is the screen shot after the carve, the bit is not returning to zero either, and I set X/Y/Z to zero before the carve

OK, please remove the G28 from the file end and rerun it. Does it return to X0Y0?

Here is my screen capture after running your file. My test rig returned to zero and the displays show zero. Does yours also repeat position each time, even if not at zero?

Thankā€™s again John, yes I get the same each time I run the file the same as my screen capture above

Did you remove and not use G28? This is important to troubleshooting your problem.

Yes, this is a shot with the G28 removed

@PatrickDunne Sorry Iā€™m just getting back into this.
I think the problem is that your machine is in relative, or incremental, motion mode.
Send G90 and then run the code again.
In relative mode G0X0Y0 tells the machine to move 0mm (or inches) from where it is. In absolute mode, G90, it will go TO X0Y0 which is what you want.
Itā€™s good practice to have G90 at the beginning of a guide file. And it is the default for grbl on starting up.
Maybe picsender sent a G91 at some point? Why does it do that?

I donā€™t know what all the G28 talk is about, but that has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: After a bit of thought, Iā€™m unsure again. Your code is arranged in a way for absolute mode. Your circles would result in a disaster if you were in incremental mode for the carve. And your dro is showing your work position.
I donā€™t know why picsender seems to set incremental mode after a program.

Can you get a video of the entire ā€œcarveā€?

No, for the second time Neil it is not PicSender! If you donā€™t use PS you can not give informed advice about it.

Patrick, to avoid all the conflicting advice, please return to discussions with Jeff and me via email, and quit posting on multiple forums. If we can not keep up with what you are changing, we will never be able to help you resolve your issue. Thank you.

I was editing my response as you replied. Iā€™m not saying the problem is picsender. I said picsender set the mode to incrementalā€¦ Itā€™s in the screenshot. Do you know why?

Grbl is grbl and gcode is gcode. I feel I can give informed advice on those topics. G28 is also not work zero, regardless of sender.
Admittedly, my last response was hastily sentā€¦ Thatā€™s why I added the edit.

@PatrickDunne Can you get a video? Possible your machine is having mechanical (or electrical) issues getting back to zero?
Again, it ā€œthinksā€ itā€™s there.

Yes.

Ha!

Neil, I have been trying to make a video but canā€™t seem to do it, but I tried this
I noticed that when the carve finished and it tried to return to work zero it moves faster than when jogging and that it also moves faster when going to G28 and G30 so I done a test, I reset G28 on the right side of the machine and reset G30 on the left side directly opposite, then homed the machine again, sent it to G28 and tried to then go to G30 and it locked after about 1" so the problem seems to be the travel along the X axis at speed, the v- wheels are loose enough, I tried adjusting $110 and $111 from 8000 down to 5000 and that seems to have fixed it, I donā€™t know what setting is best yet, I will have to try different settings, thank you all for your help

1 Like

@PatrickDunne Donā€™t worry about the video now that you know what it is. For future reference, youā€™ll probably want to post a video on YouTube and share the link here. We might have gotten there faster if we could see (and hear) what was happening.
Is your X-belt tight enough? Are the v-wheels too loose?

Sounds similar to the problem i had.

Do you have the X Controller?

I loosened the wheels until I got it working and now I will adjust them

1 Like

Yes I have