Machine Stops Carving. HELP!?

Mine stopped at 100%, Easel also gave the “How’s It Look…”, spindle stopped mid cut and like yours, did not returned home. I have had my X-Carve for over a year and the X-Controller since January. Up until yesterday, everything worked fine not including my mistakes.
Have you tried generating gcode through Easel and then send gcode through Easel or Universal G Code Sender?
Since Zach Kaplan said this is “becoming an epidemic”, I will generate and the send the gcode through Easel similar to what I do when using VCarve.

I haven’t generated gcode through Easel. I use Aspire. I just recently got my X-Controler. I haven’t seen this issue until I hooked it up. I don’t remember seeing any post about this until recently. Easel has been rock solid to this point. I’m just glad I’ve been doing this for awhile. Otherwise I’d be out the Aluminum lol.

Does it stop with spindle = off? (doing air)

Hi @CurtisCummings and @TimPillsbury I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. It sounds very frustrating. I want to be clear I didn’t write it was “becoming an epidemic” this forum thread is the first I have ever heard of or seen anything like this.

Can you please contact our Customer Success team today 312-775-7009 and see if they can figure this out with you. I don’t know if it is a hardware or software issue.

Zach - First, I apologize for attributing a statement to you that you did not make .
I have been unable to replicate my error so I have not called tech support. Things are working fine

1 Like

Hey @TimPillsbury glad to hear it’s working now. I suppose it’s possible the USB cord was knocked or came loose.

@PatrickRogers do you have an update on your progress?

I’ve been reading about this issue a lot lately.

The common thread seems to be that the communication link between computer and Xcarve is compromised.

No one solution seems to stand out from all the others.

1 Like

Yeah guys! After hours and hours of frustration I decided I’d go out on a limb and go buy another USB in a last ditch effort to fix it…
And I wish I would have done it earlier. LOL no problems since replacing it. My only thing is the USB was right out of the package from yalls box. Maybe look into why the usb’s aren’t holding up?

Just got mine set up for the first time and having same issue

My advice is to see about using a better shielded USB cable. Go get a mid to high range USB cable from your local electronics store and try it. Worst case, if t doesn’t solve your problems just return it. That fixed my issue. I wasn’t able to run for more than 5 minutes, now I’m knocking out 5 hour cuts no problem. Props to inventables for making a solid machine!

I may be late on this thread but I will share anyway… Few days ago I was doing my second carve on my new machine and the same thing happened… It was a simple design into MDF and I used what I thought was default settings for my 1/16 bit. It started carving just fine except that it seemed too fast. As I was watching it just stopped. I glanced at the screen and easel showed 100% done and asked if how it turned out. In reality it was only about 20% done. I was setting up to try again and noticed that the cut settings were on custom. I switched to recommended and noticed I had changed from 80 ipm to 40 (that explained it seeming too fast). I ran my my second test, with the change to 40, and it completed to the end.

I am not suggesting that the slower speed was the solution as it certainly could have been coincidence. I am only adding to the list of possible symptoms.

Sounds like usb dropping.

Hello have you a tech team in the uk , as I’m haveing the same problem , and doing it every cut now , I have changed the usb 3 times and moved the laptop closer to the machine and still the same , using g code Makes no difference ,and it’s just stopping at different times During the cuts ,the machine has run
Perfect now for nearly 3 years not one fault and the best thing I have ever bought hands down but really frustrating now as I have jobs piled up and meterial get wasted :sweat:,

Have you inspected the brushes on your router?

Hello yes changed them for the 3rd time few weeks back, it’s no the router as easel stops and says the end of cut message , or that the machines offline even using g code

That is typical behaviour when the USB-connection get interrupted, for whatever reason. The router is one source of RF-noise that can cause this.
But you have replaced those so it may not be that in this case.

Which speed setting (router RPM) do you carve with?

Unfortunately this is a common problem with the X-carve. Almost always caused by electrical interference. Suggestions: Do not run the router power cable along with the stepper motor cables, have your router plugged into a different outlet than your controller, be sure your controller is not plugged into the same circuit as a refrigerator, freezer, air compressor or air conditioner. Also; only use a quality shielded USB cable. I’m batting a 1000 so far. Everyone I gave this info to has fixed the problem. You might also want to join a facebook users group like X carve owners and users group or Xcarve CNC owners group. They are very helpful. Be sure to let Bob and Phil know I referred you.

3 Likes

Just adding, this is a common problem with all USB-based controllers.
USB is a rather weak signal interface.

2 Likes

Hello and thanks so much for getttjng back I have used this machine solid every day for 3 years without any problems at all , the router and x controller are on the same circuit I did run a few air passes but all got to the same point and said the cut had finished then returned home I have also had it where they run for say 20 mins then just stops while the router runs on and says connection is lost , I’ll try again in the morning but swapping the power outlets ie move the desalt you
Separate circuit , also no change in set up at all , apart from the brushes which I have swapped over again this has been a solid machine up untill now

Have you ever replaced the brushes in the router?
It has been said that when the brushes get worn the router will created electrical interference that can cause this issue.