Making strap clamps from brass

NOTE: This was not done on an x-carve, but with the proper settings you should be able to achieve the same results on an xcarve. This video series was to show how to design and CAM the part in fusion 360, and doesn’t really give suggestions on feed rates etc. for a particular machine.

I just finished up a tutorial series on making a part in Fusion 360 all the way to machining it… the object being made is a brass strap clamp:

All files are provided for free.

If anyone is interested here are the videos… I would normally post a long series of pictures explaining the process, but in this case I think it’s just too information dense for that. It’s a 3 part series, part 1 is CAD, part 2 is CAM, and part 3 is the CNC machining:

If this is something that’s interesting check out the other videos I have, or consider subscribing!

7 Likes

I’ll be the first to say: you have some big brass something or others! :smiley:

3 Likes

After some adjustments to the tool path, made a few more quickly

1 Like

No but an xcarve could do it, no problem. I provide the files to give it a shot!

Here they are assembled:

Nicer than steel :wink:

1 Like

Brass machines better than aluminum in my experience. If your bit hit them, depending on severity and diameter it would cut through them… but other outcomes are also possible. This is also a risk in simply milling aluminum or brass to begin with, even with wooden clamps.

It’s also worth noting that the same files/approaches can be used to make these out of any material, even plastics.

1 Like

I’m speaking of thr material properties, not to a particular machine.
An x carve has the ability to machine brass and aluminum under the right parameters. There are quite a few youtube videos about those materials on the xcarve as well as similar machines, if you want to learn more about it.

The xcarve is far more capable than the average owner gives it credit for, it seems.

1 Like

Even before upgrading my x-carve I cut aluminum with no issues. I made several 3-Axis zeroing plates, taller Y-Axis plates, and all sorts of small pieces for various uses. I never machined brass so I can’t speak to that, but the X-Carve will easily machine aluminum with no upgrades.

All of mine was done on the original X-Carve without the single wide makeslide for the X-Axis.

2 Likes

Oh man, i hope that goes without saying :wink:

I mean, on my machine it’s not close by any stretch of the imagination. It’s night and day different.

Each material needs the right cutters, fees/speeds, depth of cut, workholding, etc. that respects its individual properties, people! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey BobJewell, that’s a fair point, but I don’t lack familiarity with an x-carve just because I don’t own one now. Additionally, I am overwhelmingly familiar with x-carve capabilities as I active seek out projects, videos, and efforts made by x-carve owners in various materials.

It seems like you folks are trying to create a walled garden situation here, which IMO is counter productive. Instead I recommend discussing the pro’s/con’s of different materials and approaches, as it contributes to the knowledge base!

3 Likes

PhilJohnson - very true, although I commonly use those harbor freight f-clamps (https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-bar-clamp-96214.html) when I machine wood, and it’s definitely a risk I take, but I wouldn’t say not to use them… they work really great and are affordable :wink:

And to be very clear here, the video series is about how to go about designing a clamp like this and set up the toolpaths using fusion 360! While I made mine out of brass (which I think looks cool), the same methodologies apply to wood or plastic clamps, or frankly you could just 3d print clamps after the design process.

This is more about showing the process, NOT about saying everyone should be using brass clamps for all of their x-carve needs. There’s no need to extrapolate too much!

5 Likes

Why are folks so hung up on what materials are used? I’m just happy to see the CAD/CAM process through Fusion. I could care less what you actually made…go and make brass balls for all I care. I just want to know how you did it. :wink:

4 Likes

I frequent this site to get project ideas. I literally signed up just to post this comment.

The x-carve centric questions in this thread are ridiculous. Not everyone has an x-carve. The author never even mentioned using an x-carve. Stop grilling him on x-carve related topics when this project didn’t use an x-carve as clearly evidenced by the video demonstration. If you can’t understand that, you are retarded, and should not be operating machinery.

Oh and nice work OP. They came out nicely and I’ll give one a shot.

Maybe you should have skipped the sign up/comment post part.

2 Likes

Ah I understand. This is the “X-carves only” fountain. I’ll see myself out.

lol, chill out everyone :wink:

I was simply trying to show how to use fusion 360, which should be helpful for everyone, even if you use bubinga instead of brass :wink:

Look at the videos! I even say, literally in the video, you can 3d print OR MAKE IT BY HAND once you establish your measurements. It’s not about the machine! I’m just trying to share my project, videos, and files.
This isn’t a zero sum game. We can all lift eachother up.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, Inventables FAQ? Link please?

https://discuss.inventables.com/faq

Heh I do think the retarded comment was a bit much. It just bothers me to see creativity stifled by minutia in the scheme of things.People have a point in that many people here own x-carves and have x-carve related questions. However, the people here should hopefully know by now that not everyone here owns an x-carve. I believe the author gave a nice contribution and was seemingly attacked for not catering to the x-carve community. To me this community is more about inventing things and sharing projects more (Much more) than it is about working with an x-carve- especially since I don’t own one or care to. So many good projects on this site. Let’s promote that.

1 Like