Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

In your first post the motors listed are 1.8A did you get different motors?

If you click on the link on first post in this topic

This is the post. I know these are not stock xcarve I switched my x axis with a 262 Oz and boy it is much smoother

I am creating this topic to get a better understanding of making my own CNC controller that does the following:

Still use GRBL/ARDUINO
Supplies more power per stepper motor
Has the ability to support larger motors
is cheaper than the X-controller.

My only complaint about the Arduino gShield setup is that the gShield goesinto thermal overload well before the motors see thier maximum potential.

Here are the parts I’ve found so far thanks to another post:
Larger Stepper Motors:
Cost:$28.48
Nema 23
340 oz
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema-23-cnc-stepper-motor-24nm340ozin-18a-23hs411804s-p-126.html35

Controller (one per motor)
Cost: $18.98
ST-6600
4 amps
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/bipolar-stepper-motor-driver-max-4a-current-40vdc-input-16-subdivision-st6600-p-246.html43

here is my wiring diagram I made more to ask is this correct. I know for the Y there are 2 motors. For simplicity, I

I believe @MRoss refers to the link in the original post that points to some 1.8A 340oz.in motors.

I remember coming across these while looking for <=4.0A NEMA23’s. High torque, low amp seems unusual (compared to the rest of offerings), so I’m wondering if such motors have some weak point that is not so obvious.

The down side is that the big low current steppers have much higher inductance and there for can put more stress on the driver chip. Toshiba integrated driver chips are not able to handle switching transience as well as a driver based on discrete fet h bridges. Will they shorten the driver’s life?

When looking into the X-Controller I found two versions, one with just pwm and one with 1-10V VFD output, do all VFD spindles need this? How would you do this with the Arduino?

I like the buttons from Sparkfun. They have a little LED ring that lights up when activated. I use them in my digital timers I make. 16mm, and a bit cheaper.

2 Likes

http://www.mpja.com/Panel-Mount-Push-Button-Switches/products/293/

@PhilJohnson what gauge wires did you use for the project?

16 for power and 18 for signal?

1 Like

Just like Australia!

2 Likes

I put labels on my light switches so I can tell when the light is on or off. :confused:

1 Like

Braille

5 Likes

Looks great Phil. I just finished my screw shield per your pics. Waiting for rack and pinion parts to arrive so I figured it’s time to start the electronics.

Jer

1 Like

1 Like

I didn’t know (I don’t think I did) that you also did woodturning.

It was pretty cheap to change over to 9mm belts. It was a nice quick upgrade.

The newer XCarve machines come with the sprocket already attached to the stepper motors and GT2 belts. Can you upgrade to the GT3 belts without changing these or would you have to buy new steppers and sprockets that would fit?

You will just love the gt3 belts. I said it before and I’ll say it again that inventables should offer these at least as an option and preferably as stock parts. I paid as much for my gt2 set-up on my Y axis as I did for my gt3’s on my X axis. the only reason I kept the gt2’s was because I already bought them.

I just looked it up on Open Builds and they have it marked as: 3GT (GT2-3M).

Does he maybe mean the clips (or whatever you want to call them) that you use to tighten/fasten the belts at each end?