Marc's XCarve

Phil, I started a separate thread in the software category that talks about my issues with that.

1 Like

Do you happen to know what exact model that is?

Click the link above, and it will take you straight to the exact model.

Update: After a productive extended phone call with @CharleyThomas, I managed to have a fairly successful first major carve. It ran flawlessly from start to finish! Thanks again to @CharleyThomas for his guidance, wisdom, customer service and friendship. A photo of my first carve is attached.

7 Likes

I forgot to add the profile cut. But it was just a piece of scrap MDF, so I’m not overly concerned. I’ll be repeating the project on some nicer material.

1 Like

My latest project, done to my better half’s specifications. It came out okay but not perfect.

s

3 Likes

I haven’t skimmed the WasteBoard yet, but in this case I think it warped stock. I plan on skimming the WasteBoard tomorrow afternoon. I’m still learning what bits and software to use for different things.

1 Like

Update: The WasteBoard was skimmed. Now onto the real work. I am making plaques for an upcoming ship’s reunion. The first photo was a practice run on .75 plywood. The second photo is in .75 mahogany and is ready for lettering the recipients name and a profile cut. It isn’t quite perfect, for some reason the finish alignment didn’t match up with the roughing pass and the bit was too large to get into the diner lettering, such as the “A” and “E”.

1 Like

And now with photos.

1 Like

Are you using vcarve desktop or some other software. Looks great!

I am using Aspire. A few more capabilities than V Carve.

I couldnt use a v bit. The lettering on the ships crest is part of the original design. I purchased the crest and downloaded it online.

Any reason for the box around the emblem? Is that just a stylistic choice? The text needs some work as Phil points out but otherwise, not a bad carve!

I guess I’ll have to learn mesh mixer. The box around the design is how the artwork came into aspire. I tried various things to try and remove it, all unsuccessful. So I decided to leave it. I’m sure there is a way to get rid of the box, but my own lack of experience has kept me from finding it.

1 Like

I’m sure you could raise the design and the box around it up so it was level with the rest of the shield?

I have done the same kind of thing before on a project, but I can’t remember how I did it off the top of my head. I’ll have a look when I’m back in the shop tomorrow

That’s a good idea, but I’ll have to play with the software to try and do that.

I finally made my first sale to a commercial customer. A simple sign, but it was good enough for my customer to ask for more.

5 Likes

Awesome. A happy customer is great

Congrats!