Messing around with halftone carving

Oh yeah my machine has gecko drives and stuff not running feel on that

But yeah I might have to look at it in mach3

1 Like

This is cool software, thanks for posting about it. I went a little different direction and tried some white corian. My first cut went well, I am happy with it but will try some fine tuning.

3 Likes

Thanks Phil,
I used what I think are pretty much the default settings. I have the safe Z, even though it is somewhat irrelevant for the lines, at 0.125, 50 IPM, tool angle 60, Feed 50. Imperial settings.

1 Like

You have a loose belt in either X or Y, or possibly a loose set-screw on one of your X/Y steppers - That’s why the lines are coming out clustered together in pairs like that. (look up backlash)

Nice

My guess is the X-axis stepper set screw - that would explain the little vertical “tail” on the ends of cuts: your Y axis starts moving before the X does, which implies slop on the X.

Exciting stuff being done here! I am downloading Halftoner too :slight_smile:
@JasonDorie Your “reactor” software looks quite cool too. Is there a way to have a combination of the two (that the cutting lines be reaction lines)? :slight_smile:

oh, never mind, I just saw the video that explains just that :wink:

I’ve posted this to the Projects topic, but I figure you guys are probably the most interested: Updated version of Halftoner posted - V1.6

1 Like

I have gotten the image in HalfToner (really cool software, great job). I went to the toolpath tab and exported the g-code (it created a .txt file). What is the next step in the process? How do pull the .txt g-code file into easel? Do I use the universal g-code sender? I downloaded it, but I am not sure how to get it to work. Any direction would be appreciated.

Download ugs…connect machine to computer, use baud 115250 I ant to say the number is where u connect the machine in ugs and hit connect or open. I forgot what it says exactly. But I’m sure u get it lol.
Then go to the file tab and open ur file.
U can click on visualize to make sure it looks right and that it’s the right size etc.
Make sure u set the zero home position!
Send button to start the cutting.
That’s a basic quick how to.
If u need more specific. Please say so!

To set home position, move the machine/bit to the appropriate position according to ur cutting file, go to the tab that says machine control, and hit the “set home position” or “set zero” which ever it says. Use ur common semce on the name of the buttons. I could be slightly wrong what I’m calling them, but I’m sure it’s enough to get u going!

Thanks. Due to Thanksgiving, It will be Sunday before I get a chance to try.

I was thinkng there was a way to import the gcode into easel. But now I understand that the process to go straight from the gcode created by HalfToner straight to the GRBL using Universal GCode sender. Thanks for the help.

agreed!!! I found that out the hard way on a piece that carved for over 3 hrs. I was a bit shocked that such a stupid movement would be performed while doing such a basic command.
plus ive only ever broke 1 bit and guess what the cause was!!! lmao

1 Like

Has anyone figured out how to get the exported gcode to work with easel? The preview on UGS doesn’t look right when I open the gcode from halftoner…

aww man I love the preview window even in ugs it makes me look like I bought super expensive software even for my little machine lol

I think mach is the software i see some folks using that shows live positioning and such as the job is running id like to run a dual monitor setup mounted to my table with all that neat stuff running on one monitor and then like Aspire on the other, or maybe the matrix screen saver, lol

speaking of technical looking stuff and spoilboards lol

grooves for improved accuracy and customer wow factor lol

2 Likes

If my machine would ever arrive I could see what that real live sample looks like so far all I get is previews … and simulations

These remind of rasterbation… Using different sized dots to create a picture, that is easy to see from far away, but you can see each “pixel” up close…